Chapter 4: Runaround

June's mansion. February 8, 2006. Wednesday afternoon.

"Thanks for coming early," Diana said, addressing the group assembled around June's dining table. For the moment, the Arkham Round Table meeting was restricted to women only with June, El, and Tricia all in attendance.

Mozzie and Henry had been ordered under pain of excommunication to not arrive before two o'clock. Diana used June's amazing chief Emil as the excuse. He was preparing a high tea feast to welcome Henry's first official participation in the writing group and it wouldn't be ready till then. Grilled salmon and mushroom-stuffed potatoes that made her feel like she'd been transported to gourmet heaven were both on the menu. There would be chocolate cake in Henry's honor and also lemon-rosemary scones.

"I didn't want to start Henry's first meeting on a contentious note," Diana added. "He might assume I was holding a grudge because of his secret machinations last fall. As for Mozzie"—Diana paused to vent the sigh which demanded to be released—"he's hopeless on the topic."

"You're talking about the romance angle in the stories," Tricia said with a knowing nod.

"That's right. It's threatening to get out of hand. Many could easily say it already has." She kept her eyes fixed on Tricia but noted with a certain amount of satisfaction the uneasy eye exchange between El and June. "We could justify the romance between Neal and Sara as it was used to highlight Neal's alien nature and the pernicious effects of the Ymar. I went along—reluctantly—with the fluffy bits in Sands of Abydos. You caught me in a weak moment with that story."

"The Mansfelds had been captured," June pointed out. "You hadn't decided if you wanted to continue writing the series. Ending on a happy note for the protagonist was fitting."

Diana observed El's reluctance to voice an opinion. She was probably feeling guilty. She knew what Diana was going to bring up. She should be grateful that Diana was sparing her the men's participation.

"But now Rolf's injected himself back into our lives—and our stories," Diana reminded them, not that there was any chance they'd forgotten. "As Tricia has already pointed out so ably, the stories are back to being a psychological tool. I'm not saying that I'm opposed to romantic threads, but we can't lose sight of our purpose. What I propose is that before any new thread is introduced, it needs to be justified before the entire round table and subjected to an analysis of its relevance."

"Arkham Elizabeth could have a miscarriage," El volunteered, and damn if it didn't look like she was suggesting one for herself. What kind of ogre did she think Diana was? El was probably already researching baby clothes of the '70s.

"There's no need for that," Diana said hastily. "Although you may wish to consult with my co-writer about his ideas."

"It's Mozzie's romance that's the issue, isn't it?" June asked.

"In spades," she confirmed gloomily. "I tried to point out what a hornet's nest he'd cause. As it is, I'm getting requests from readers who're shipping various combinations of characters. But nobody—and I mean nobody—ships Mozzie and Lavinia. With Valentine's Day coming up, I know what Mozzie's going to propose and I want us to be united against it."

"Perhaps his girlfriend Janet can help," Tricia suggested. "Surely she's not interested in seeing Mozzie in love with an alien."

"You'd be surprised," Diana said darkly. "Janet's in my martial arts class. When I spoke to her about it, she deluged me with ideas based on the bizarre mating practices of sea creatures and insects. Not helpful." Diana started snickering despite herself. "Although the one about the female praying mantis biting the head off of her mate has a certain appeal."