Chapter 1--Training

Raven

I woke up on the crack of dawn. I saw my phone and saw that it was 6:05 a.m. As my father tells me day by day, a good Ninja wakes up early to help her family and friends and to train. So I do so.

I head towards the kitchen, being stealthy about it. People are passed out from being worked out from the werewolf attack last night. Some others are outside burying the dead. My Mother, Minho, was killed in the attack. I saw her gravestone, higher than the others.

I blew a kiss in her direction, stating that I loved her and may the other Clan members join her in peace. I head towards the training grounds, where my Father is waiting.

I open the sliding door and head inside. A ninja star flew by my head and I caught it in midair, surprised.

"You were off by two seconds. Your training is slipping." A voice says, which made me groan.

"Namaste, Father." I said bored, looking down. I look back at him and he smiles back at me, but I could see that he was missing Mother. His eyes showed the pain that words cannot muster. I knew how he felt. I felt it too.

"You are to jog across Blue Blood Hill, come back sprinting, and practice your swordsmanship with Mika." Father says not even bothering to say hello, which was usual with him; he wanted to get things done quick. "Begin."

I started running and stopped until I reached the Clan gates. I started to jog, crossing the creek that separated my Clan from the Fire Clan. I start to jog up the hill, going slower so that I have enough energy to sprint back home.

On the top of the hill, I stop and see the mountains in the distance. Soon I will have to go there and train to become Leader when Father steps down from his rule. I couldn't wait. But my excitement soon turns to sadness because I remembered how Mother used to be so excited for when I became Leader. Tears slowly came own my face and I brushed them away.

I started to hum this song in my head. Nothing special but it helps me stay on task.

"On top of the world. On top of it all. Trying to feel invincible....." I kept saying those words over an over in my head. Ever since Mother died, that was the only song I could remember.

"RAVEN!!! IF YOU DON'T GET BACK HERE.........!!!!" Father let the sentence hang. I yelped and started sprinting so fast.

Maybe I was standing there too long...... I think. I go past the creek an drag my sorry butt up the steps. I grab my sword, which was a gift from my Father for my 18th birthday and spin. I struck down, only to recoil with another sword. I look up and grin. My best friend in the world, Mika Sacanawea, was holding the other end.

"Good. Good. Raven get a good kick at Sacanawea. That's it!!! Very good. Very good. Sacanawea, hurry get up!!! My daughter will show no mercy!!" Father says, instructing us.

"Father!!" I yell and stop what I'm doing. Big mistake. Mika swiftly kicks my legs and I go down.

"YEEESSSS!!! I WON, BABY!!!' Mika says, celebrating. She is the only person besides Father to beat me in sword fighting. "WHOOO!!!" She jumps on to her boyfriend, Laylo, and tackles him down. Father and I keep looking at her like she's crazy.

"Training is over......." Father and I said, trying not to laugh.

My friends are so weird........ I thought.