Chapter 1

Davide stared out the window with his eyes narrowed. He was tired, hadn't slept well in days but he needed to sort out this mess and he needed it sorted now.

He wasn't used to this and so it only made him all the more irritable. Usually, when he assigned a job to his men, they were quick and efficient but this... this had taken longer than he liked.

Then, when he would have picked up his phone to call his men and yell again, there was a knock at the door.

"Come in." Davide said, turning to face the door as he spoke.

"Mr. Nikoli." It was Samuel, a man he'd gone to school with and considered a close friend. He was smiling at Davide who frowned, hating whenever Samuel called him that.

"Not in the mood, Sam." Davide said, sitting in the large leather chair behind the desk and leaning back.

"Why so serious?" Sam said with humor in his voice.

"Do you want to get shot?" Davide asked, without looking at him.

"Not particularly." Sam said with a shrug, sitting across from him.

"So give me good news then." Davide said and Sam nodded.

"Okay. here." Sam said, tossing an envelope onto the desk. Davide looked down at the envelope and then back at Sam.

"That what I want it to be?" Davide asked.

"Even better." Sam said, leaning back with a grin. Davide reached for the envelope and opened it quickly before pulling it out it's contents. Then, after a few minutes, a smile finally crept onto his face.

"I love you." Davide said, making Samuel chuckle.

"Not too loud, I don't want anyone thinking we're..." He began but Davide laughed.

"How did you finally do it?" Davide asked, sorting through everything.

"The same way I always do. It took me a little time to get to it than usual, but it's all there." Samuel said.

"Thank god, I'm exhausted." Davide replied.

"I can tell." Samuel said, looking a bit more serious now. "The new police chief. He's the one that made this difficult."

"We've dealt with difficult cops before." Davide said.

"Not like this, I had to go to a different district to get this." Samuel said. "I think we may need to have a talking to with this man."

Davide shook his head. He didn't like messing with honest, hard working men, not unless he absolutely had to and they stood in his way.

"No, we've got a few connections, just make someone on my payroll gets transferred to his office. We can work from behind the scenes." Davide said and Samuel nodded.

"You're the boss." Samuel said with a shrug.

"So you finally remembered?" Davide asked.

"Like you would ever let me forget." Samuel teased.

"Like I could ever forget." Davide said with a sigh. It was obvious this had kept him busy. He looked as tired as he felt, a five o clock shadow on his usually perfectly shaven face.

"Go home and sleep, Davide. You're pushing yourself too hard." Samuel said and Davide looked up at him.

"I know but none of us expected for Leo to die. We needed to make our move quick." Davide said and Samuel agreed. Leo was the don of a small family on the west coast. Very obscure, no children and no one to take over. He'd been friends with his father for many years so it was naturally assumed that they would pick the new Don. Still, some of Leo's neighbors had tried jumping in without asking for approval. When something like this happened, the previous Don must have left word on his successor, or the counsel would choose for them.