1. The Wrong House

A/N: here we go with my second Wattpad story!! Yay!! I hope you guys like it. Check out my other story 'Me and My Broken Heart' and have yourself a cookie.
~
"Gryffindor!"

Rose watched as Albus jogged over to the Gryffindor table amidst hearty applause, grinning like mad. He sat down beside his brother, and James punched him on the shoulder, also grinning like crazy. Rose smiled. She knew that though he would never admit it, James was really quite fond of his younger brother.

She turned her attention back to the teacher's table, where the Sorting was taking place. Slowly, the line shrank as more and more first years were sorted into their respective Houses. Rose's heart was threatening to burst out of her chest. In front of her, Hugo tapped his foot nervously.

Then, suddenly, "Weasley, Hugo!"

Rose gasped; she hadn't been keeping track. Hugo turned and gave her a nervous grin. "See you in Gryffindor," he said, and headed over to the stool. He put the Sorting Hat on his hat.

There was a moment of silence. Then, "Gryffindor!"

Hugo whipped off the Hat and practically sprinted down to the Gryffindor table. He leapt on Albus, who yelled something that was lost in the gale of applause. James thumped Hugo on the back.

Gradually the storm of clapping died down. Rose was sure everyone could hear her heart, it was thumping so loudly. What if something went wrong? What if she didn't end up in Gryffindor? What if she ended up in... Slytherin?

Rose shook her head. She couldn't afford to think like that.

"Weasley, Rose!"

Somehow she forced her legs to move her over to where the Hat was waiting. She sat down, took a deep breath, and put on the ragged old Hat.

"Hmm," said a small voice in her ear. Rose gave a little start. "Difficult. Yes. Let's see... very loyal, you would do anything for your friends... quite brave, too, and not a bad mind either... Oho! I see! Interesting. Very interesting! We must take that into account... Well, then. Better be... Slytherin!"

The last word was shouted out loud, but Rose was too stunned to move. Slytherin? There must have been a mistake. There had to have been a mistake. She couldn't be in Slytherin!

An explosion a cheering went up in the Slytherins. In a daze, Rose took off the Hat and stumbled towards them, a loud ringing in her ears. Maybe this was all a bad dream. Maybe she would wake up and everything would work out fine.

But as she sat down with her new House, as they patted her on the back, congratulating her, welcoming her; Rose gazed across the Great Hall and locked eyes with Hugo. His eyes were full of shock and disappointment. Albus, too, was staring at her in disbelief, but there was something else in his eyes, something Rose couldn't quite fathom.

Rose looked down, feeling a pang of loss. And she knew, in that moment, that it was real. There was no waking up. This time, she was living a nightmare.

-------next evening-------

Dear Mum and Dad,

Albus and Hugo got into Gryffindor, just like you guys did. I got Sorted into Slytherin.

I think the Hat made a mistake, but one of the girls in my dormitory said the Sorting Hat has never made a mistake, and it never will. Do you think this is an exception? I don't want to be in Slytherin. Everyone else is in Gryffindor. Also, you know what Uncle Harry said about the Hat listening to what you want? It didn't. It just said Slytherin right away practically. Is there something wrong with me? I'm scared. I don't fit in here.