Chapter 10

Your thoughts reign in on her statement, dismissing everything else for now. "How? Please help me use breathing." She chuckles slightly.

"You've already properly used a breathing style. You've simply forgotten it. ...The same is true for your blood art. I took those memories away, because they ended up causing problems, but I will give them back now." She brings a hand up, cutting into her index finger, then bringing it to your forehead.

"Get ready."

~~~

The world shifts around you, and you get the feeling that it is fuzzy. Your thoughts slowly morph, and before you know it, your feet are crunching in the snow, at a much lower height than you're used to, and your mouth is moving.

"-and she's so pretty, and so cool! And so strong! And cool!" Your eyes sparkle and your hands are curled into fists and you shake them around enthusiastically. Beside you walks Tanjiro, who seems utterly enthralled by what you're telling him.

"And guess what she taught me?! Guess, guess!" You say, whirling around to face Tanjiro. He doesn't have time to answer before you continue.

"She taught me flower breathing! Isn't that so cool?! Look, let me show you!" You pull a small wooden sword from a makeshift sheath at your side, waving it around.

"Ready?!" You steady yourself, breathing deeply. "Fourth form: Crimson Hanagoromo!" For a second, nothing happens.

The next moment you're knocked backward at a high speed, with petals everywhere.

You skid across the snow, slowing to a stop. It feels weird.. I don't like it.. Your eyes start to bubble with tears, and you reach up to wipe them away. Your hand has a small stream of blood leaking from it.

"Tanjiro..?" You say after a moment, remembering what you were doing. The snow is cold your legs, and you stand up, looking around wearily. Farther away, you spot his reddish hair in the snow and you run over to him.

The snow near his head has been dyed red. You crouch down next to him.

"Tanjiro? Are you okay..?" He doesn't answer, and your eyes start to water again. I.. did I hurt him? You shake him, but get no response. Your fingers clasp his haori. He looks quite peaceful in his unconciousness.

We're closer to my house, right..? My house was that way, right..?

You attempt to pick him up, but only manage a weak hold on him, carrying him on your back.

Eventually you reach your house, barging through the door and into the living room. Your mother is sitting on the couch examining some papers.

"Oh, Y/n you're back already?" She turns to you and her expression drops in surprise. "Oh my goodness, what happened?" She gets up and rushes towards you, gently lifting Tanjiro off your back. You finally burst into tears.

"I-I was showing him the move Miss Kanae taught me but- but there was some big explosion and when I looked again he was like that! It-it wasn't supposed to do that! What happened to him? Is he okay? I-I didn't mean to-"

Your mother puts a finger to your mouth, still examining the wound on Tanjiro's head. She moves to a cupboard, retrieving a first aid kit, and bandages the wound.

~~~

Suddenly, the weird memory-dream ends, and you're dazed but back to reality.

When your mother sees this, she speaks again.

"Tanjiro was fine, but you were distraught that this had happened. I ended up erasing both of your memories of the event, and all of your memories regarding breathing. But, now that one of the 'illusions' has been destroyed, you should remember all you'd learned relatively quickly."