1 - ONE - THE FOURTH DAUGHTER

1959
CYGNUS and Druella Black wanted a son. It was October of 1959 and the couple had three daughters. Any normal person would've been happy to have three healthy girls but not Cygnus. No. He needed a boy. There was simply no way around it. There had to be an heir to the Nobel House of Black.

5 years earlier, when Druella had gone into labour for the first time, he had hoped the baby was a boy. It was not. So that was how Bellatrix Black became Bellatrix Black. Alas, thought Cygnus, there's always next time.

Druella had insisted they wait at least a year. She was happy with her little girl. She adored brushing through her ringlets and staring into her deep brown eyes. But after a year, she struggled to conceive. After what felt like months, she missed her period and was filled but nothing but joy. Her pregnancy was confirmed by a healer and in late 1956, Andromeda Black blessed the world.

Cygnus was angry. He belittled his wife, stating that it was all her fault. As the oldest brother, it was his job to make sure that the family would be left in safe hands. And so, he ensured that his wife became pregnant again. The next seven months were very slow. Despite being premature, the baby couldn't have come fast enough.

But when the midwitch announced it was a girl, Cygnus stormed out of the room. The baby was taken away. All sorts of spells were said in the hope that she would live. Druella named her Narcissa. She felt the colour of the flower matched her daughter's white blonde hair.

The pair decided that three was enough. Cygnus told his brother that he would have to have a son. But despite only being two years younger, Orion Black had not yet wed. He had left Hogwarts two years ago. He should've been married by now.

Time went on and the youngest Black brother had still not proposed. Sure, he was seeing someone. Whether on not it would last was a matter constantly discussed at family gatherings.

"We need to have another one," Cygnus announced one night.
"What?" Druella said from the armchair by the fire.
"We need a son. My bloody brother isn't going to have one anytime soon. We need a son, Ella."
"And what if it's not a boy?"
"It will be."

A month after Cygnus and Druella had announced their pregnancy, Orion and Walburga announced they were engaged. Two months after that, they announced they were expecting.

It was now more important than ever that the baby be a boy.

In the early morning of 14th October, Druella Black's waters broke. A mere three hours later, a girl was announced. Cygnus locked himself in his study with a bottle of Scotch and Druella sat with the baby in floods of tears. She had failed her one purpose.

At 7 o'clock, the three little girls trotted in to meet the newest addition of the family. Bellatrix, being the eldest, held the baby proudly. A nearly three year old Andromeda, peered over excitedly. Tiny Narcissa sat in her mother's lap, sucking her thumb, uninterested in her baby.
"What's her name?" Bellatrix asked impatiently.
"She hasn't got one," Druella answered. This was true. She and Cygnus had only ever discussed boy names. "Why don't you pick one out of your book?"
On the bedside table sat a children's book of stars and constellations, originally given to Bellatrix due to her name.

Druella shifted Narcissa off of her lap and held the baby so that Bellatrix could flick through the book. The five year old child stopped and pointed to one.

"Cassiopeia." Druella read.
Bellatrix nodded eagerly.
"I like it," Andromeda mumbled.
"Me too," Druella smiled and looked down at her youngest daughter. "Cassiopeia Elladora Black."