Chapter 2: Ladies, I have some exciting news

Chapter 2

We all entered the studio. Mme. Noelle stood there with her eyes shining and her hands clasped together as though frozen in mid-clap. "Ladies, I have some exciting news. I was supposed to keep this a secret until tomorrow but I couldn't wait. The Yorkshire School of Ballet is holding auditions to ballet dancers all over the world to go and study there. I want to encourage you all to audition. They will be held in the studio on the 2nd floor at some point in the next month or so. We're not sure because they are terribly busy. It's a fantastic opportunity, and I want you to make me proud." Mme. Noelle might have continued but was interrupted by the excited whispers and giggles in the room. Deirdre looked smug. She probably thinks she already won. I bet you any money that she won't practice or anything. She'll walk into that studio all conceited and even mediocre students like Mary-Eloise will have a better shot than her. Still, that doesn't mean I'll get chosen. I wonder how many pupils will be picked. I shot my hand up into the air to ask Mme. Noelle. "Yes, Jane"

"I was wondering, how many people they will choose?" I asked. 

"That is a good question Jane. I do not know. Perhaps if one of you stands out they will pick just you. Or if there are many of you they want they will make their decision. I apologize" Mme. Noelle replied.

"Thank you" I said. 

Then a thought entered my mind. What if 2 pupils were chosen? Me and... Deirdre. That would be a nightmare. I'd actually rather not be chosen. No, what am I saying. Who cares about Deirdre? This could be a golden opportunity for myself as a dancer. I shouldn't let Deirdre hold me back. 

I made sort of a new year's resolution. (Except it was the middle of April). I will stretch and practise for at least 2 hours every day. I need to become even more dedicated and focused than I already am. Dancers need that drive.