Chapter 4: Just another day

Chapter 4

After school I take the public bus to dance. I usually ride the bus with Aimee, a girl 2 years younger than I am but already her technique is around the same as some of the girls in my dance class. Aimee has beautiful golden wavy hair that falls to her hips. In her last exam, she became the only dancer in the last 15 years to get a perfect score. Today she was wearing a really cute outfit. A flower-print knee-length dress with a braided brown belt and brown slouch boots. Her mom owns The Rack, which is an extremely cool clothing store near Highland St. 

Aimee asked me a question just as I was sliding into the seat next to her. This is very unusual for her, we normally spend the bus rides in a pleasant silence. 

"Jane, do you think I'm good enough to get chosen for the scholarship?"

"I think you will have a good shot at it, you're very talented. Is there any reason you are asking me this?"

"Well it's just that Marianne and Joyce said even though I got the mark I got on my exam I am a horrible dancer. They said the examiner was blind and that I won't have a chance of winning the scholarship." A tear slid down Aimee's cheek.

Author's note: The youtube video is of Evelyn Hart the best ballerina ever!! She trained for a long time with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet in Winnipeg, Manitoba

I wrapped her in a tight hug. "You know what, I bet Marianne and Joyce are jealous of you. You get a lot of attention and praise. Don't let their insecurities bring you down." 

"Thanks, Jane. You rock."

"No problem Aimee."

Normally on the bus we do each other's buns. The change rooms are chaos so it's much easier. 

"Want to do buns?" I asked.

"Sure, I'll do yours" replied Aimee. 

I turned around to face the other way. I loved the feeling of someone else doing my bun. It reminds me of Mom. She used to do them when I was little, before every class and every recital. Aimee's voice halted my thoughts.

"It's done!" She said. 

She spun around and I started to do hers. I gathered her hair into a ponytail and twisted it into the shape of a bun. I reached into my bad and grabbed some bobby pins and a hair net out of my bag. I stuck the bobby pins into her hair and then twisted and stretched the hair net around her bun. Just as I finished, a voice came over the bus intercom.

"We are now at Transcona street." Boomed the robotic voice. 

Aimee and I thanked the bus driver and hopped of the bus and into the school.