Chapter 3

Reid's pov:

Reid's pov:

As much as I hate to admit, Friday couldn't come faster. Not that I want to spend time with that smart-ass, but for some reason, whenever I see her get flustered over any comment I might make, like when I call her Willy, it is so undeniably amusing to me.

And plus, it gives me an excuse to leave the house without my father's permission if I'm just going to study, but god I can't wait to get this project over with.

I need that grade and if working with the one person who I have to compete with, then let it be.

Last year was odd, it was almost like she gave up, she just stopped.

She skipped class, let her grade flop, barely passing, and something tells me she wants to do that this year too, but I also have a feeling she really wants to beat me for the top grade this year.

I smile at thought of her plagued with the idea of wanting to win, too bad I can't let that happen.

Last year when I won, that was the closest thing I've seen to proud on my fathers face, I don't need to give him an excuse to lay another hand on me, I shiver at that.

My thought are interpreted when I hear my father's voice "What's with that smug look on your face boy?"

"Nothing, just thinking about school."

"Good, you're going to need those grades if you want to get into Stanford, don't let that little weasel girl beat you this time."

I bite my tongue to stop myself from defending Willy. "Yes sir."

"Good." He grumbles under his breath.

I don't even want to go to Stanford, or law school, but the faster I leave this shitty town the faster I can get the hell away from my father.

I need that grade. I remind myself, I'm not going to let my slight amusement of Maeve to stop me.

Maeve POV:

I'm avoiding my mother.

I already had to endure last night's dinner with her, I couldn't do it again.

I begged my father last night to let me stay her instead of having to go to my mom's house.

Yet here I am, on the phone with my mother trying to come up with some dumbass lie about how I'm at the library working on a project and I won't be home for dinner.

I've been tuning out her voice on the other line, trying to focus on the calmness of the water in front of me, that's right I'm at the lake, again, sitting on my rock with my knees curled to my chest pretending to listen to my mother talk.

"I'll be home as soon as I can mom, I promise, I just really want to do what I can on this project."

"Really May, you have a mother, a step father and a sister who haven't seen you in almost a week, and now of all days you choose to sit in a library doing school work, now, not last year when you were busy skipping class, but now. You know what, don't be home too late because I'm not waiting up on you, I see what's more important in your mind and if that's what you want to do then fine."