Scottish Lady

It seems not all hauntings are as scary or disturbing as others, that there seem to be “good” ghosts as well as bad ones, just as there are good and bad people I suppose. Some actively engage with the living and even form a happy co-existence. I personally do not believe spirits should, generally speaking, remain on the earth unless it is to visit occasionally a loved one or unless they are on a mission to watch over someone they still care about. The material earth plane is primarily for material entities, not the immaterial. Like that classic line from the bartender in The Shining when he says to Jack, “Your money is no good here, sir.”

I believe a spirit should have the grace and good sense to pass onto the next realm and “go to the light” as they say.

The trouble is, according to films like the The Sixth Sense, some souls do not even know they are dead and go on re-enacting and re-living over and over certain events in their lives that perhaps were too traumatic or too enjoyable for them to let go off ? Or they attach themselves to where they felt the most comfortable, seemingly unaware there is another realm beyond this one. Deep down I feel this is an intrinsically unnatural environment for the dead, like a bird trying to fly in the vacuum of space – kind of sad and pointless really.

This bizarre and even humorous story relates to an old Scottish lady who tragically died when her house burnt down back in the 80’s. Another house was soon constructed on the land and a slightly nefarious casual acquaintance of mine happened to purchase it with the intent of growing illegal plants within its spacious environs. Naughty boy. I have to say he was a very interesting character. He came from England after WWII where his mother was supposedly a member of a coven. His dad was a performing artist and acrobat but very cruel to him and his brothers during their childhood. 

He served in the army for a time and spent a record stint at the Holsworthy Military Prison for insubordinate and criminal behaviour. Hard as nails and always looking for the fast big buck and the next easy mark.

So anyway, he and some “friends” rigged the place up with wall to wall lighting and operations commenced. Hopefully no one but the three or four concerned knew what was going on behind those walls. But unknown to them a “third party” did indeed know. And this third party was soon to make it quite clear they did not like what they were up to when previously healthy plants started suddenly dying. At first they thought someone had broken into the house and poured poison into the watering system as a half empty bottle of some chemical was found in the kitchen with the lid lying next to it.

But this was soon ruled out. The king pin of the operation also happened to be heavily into the occult on account of his mother being a “witch” and before long deduced what was happening and became aware of the Scottish lady’s presence in the house. A self-proclaimed psychic he later related to me over some beers how using his “secret knowledge” he was able to evict the spirit of the old lady before she had time to ruin the whole crop. Funny but true !

So there the tale would have ended except for a phone call a couple of days later from a lady who lived with her two children right next door to the house in question. She sounded a little distressed and even angry when she asked,

"You know how you were telling me about that ghost of the Scottish lady and how you got rid of it ? Well now it’s in MY house and I want you to get over here asap and get rid of it because it’s keeping my girls awake singing to them at the foot of their bed at all hours of the night !” Apparently the Scottish lady had a thing for kids and enjoyed singing them lullabies dressed in her tartan cap and kilt all through the night. While there seemed no ill-intent on the part of the old lady it was frightening and disruptive all the same so the self-styled “exorcist” promptly arrived to rectify the situation this time being more specific as to where the old lady was NOT to go.

There was a sudden rush of wind from nowhere and then the singing Scottish lady was gone. To where is anyone’s guess.