two

𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓷𝓰 𝓶𝓲𝓴𝓪𝓮𝓵𝓼𝓸𝓷
2. the night of the comet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Originally discovered nearly five centuries ago, it hasn't been over Mystic Falls in over 145 years. The comet will be its brightest right after dusk during tomorrow's celebration." Mr. Tanner says as he notices Elena and Stefan. "Are we bothering you, Mr. Salvatore? Ms. Gilbert?"

Elena and Stefan drop their gazes, Elena shaking her head, trying not to laugh. The bell rings, and the students grab their things before leaving the room.

"I'm confused. Are you psychic or clairvoyant?" I heard Caroline say as I reached them.

"Technically, Grams says I'm a witch. My ancestors were these cool Salem witch chicks or something. Grams tried to explain it all, but she was looped on the liquor, so I tuned out. Crazy family, yes. Witches? I don't think so." Bonnie told her, and I smirked.

"Yeah, well, feel free to conjure up the name and number of that guy from last night."

"What guy?" I asked, confused.

"Some guy she saw last night," Bonnie told me as I sat down before turning to Caroline. "And I didn't see him. You did. Why didn't you talk to him?"

"I don't know. I was drunk." Caroline shrugged.

━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━

I look up at the Salvatore house as I leave the car. I walk up to the door and knock, listening for anything on the other side of the door. Once the doors finally opened, I pushed past Zach, asking, "Where's Stefan?"

"Come in?" the familiar voice of Zach Salvatore said as I walked to the living room, finding no sign of the vampire. "What are you doing here? Why do you need Stefan?"

"Where the hell is he? I know you heard about the 'animal attack.'" I replied with air quotes.

"What about the attack?" Zach says, straightening his posture, acting confused.

"I know he's a vampire. He arrives here, and suddenly, there's an animal attack. So unless there's another vampire you'd like to tell me about, you'll tell me where he is?"

"Natalie?" I heard from behind Zach. I look behind him to see Stefan closing the front door behind him. I watch as he looks at Zach and then back at me. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, you know. To give you a warm welcome." I glare at him as he approaches us in the living room. "I hope you caught the sarcasm. Why the hell did you come back?"

"I told you yesterday," he said, still confused.

"Funny. Now the real reason," I tell him, crossing my arm. "I know what happened last night."