sixteen

𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓷𝓰 𝓶𝓲𝓴𝓪𝓮𝓵𝓼𝓸𝓷
16. isobel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 15, 2009

Dear Diary,
I can't believe what happened last night. It's like a nightmare that I can't wake up from. Anna came banging on my door in the middle of the night, crying her eyes out. I was not expecting her to barge in unannounced talking about her mother being dead. I felt a lump in my throat, and my stomach churned with a mix of sadness and anger. How could someone do this? No one knew about them being vampires aside from me, Damon, Stefan, and Elena, right? I don't know if Anna will get through this. She spent a century trying to get her mother out of that tomb after I failed, dying in the process. And now she's lost her all over again.

━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━

FLASHBACK - 1ST PERSON
2009 FLYNN RESIDENCE
MYSTIC FALLS, VIRGINIA

The night stretched on, suffocating us with its heavy silence. Anna and I sat in the dimly lit living room, our faces etched with grief and confusion, etched with the pain of the events that had unfolded over the past few hours.

"Anna," I whispered, my voice trembling with the unspoken emotions that hung in the air. "Please, tell me what happened. I need to understand."

Anna's eyes, red and swollen from tears, met mine. She took a deep breath as if gathering the strength to relive the nightmare she had witnessed just moments ago.

"I... I came back home," Anna began, her voice quivering. "And as I stepped inside, something felt terribly wrong. There was this stillness, a silence that sent shivers down my spine."

I nodded, encouraging her to continue. My heart pounded with a mix of anticipation and dread, eager to unravel the truth behind her haunting words.

"And then... and then I saw them," Anna whispered, her voice barely audible. "Mom... Mama... and Harper."

Tears welled up in Anna's eyes once again, her voice breaking as she struggled to find the right words.

"They were staked... in the heart," she finally managed to say, her voice filled with anguish. "Lifeless."

A wave of shock washed over me, causing my body to tremble involuntarily. The image of Anna's mother and Harper seared into my mind with a piercing intensity.

"I... I'm so sorry, Anna," I whispered, my voice barely audible.

Anna reached out, her trembling hand finding mine as if grasping for an anchor to steady her.

"It's a nightmare, Natalie," she choked out between sobs, tears cascading down her cheeks. "A nightmare that I can't wake up from. I don't understand... I don't understand why anyone would do this to them."