𝘔- ᵐᵃʳʳⁱᵃᵍᵉ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵃᶜᶜᵉᵖᵗᵃⁿᶜᵉ

Bᴜʀɴ ʙʀɪᴅɢᴇs ʙᴜᴛ ʙᴜɪʟᴅ ᴀ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ʙᴏᴀᴛ
~ Aᴛᴛɪᴄᴜs

Bells. The loud chimes could be heard miles away.

A crowd had formed around the church as they awaited the arrival of the bride.

Chifuyu, standing by the altar clothed from head to toe in luxury, had the most unreadable face; he never once had the chance to meet the woman he was about to marry and so he had no inkling of her looks.

Queue the obnoxious trumpets.

The royal orchestra, who performed in various imperial ceremonies, had rehearsed the symphony every day; finally glad to show off their hard work.

Y/n strolled down the alley, her delicately embroidered veil hiding her face from her soon to be husband. The long and bloated skirt of the dress was not at all of her taste (her mum choosing the gown for her).

In all honesty, she didn't contribute to anything involved in the marriage, neither did she want to.

She would have given her all if it were Manjiro. But no, that would be impossible now.

Her heart stilled as soon as she laid her eyes on the spouse.

Minty green eyes that were only shining under the light of the sun otherwise utterly dull. Raven and neatly groomed hair that didn't resemble Manjiro's at all.

She followed her father to the altar.

A lifeless vessel regretting that she never had the dignity to speak her mind, to run away from her fate. A marriage that held both the man and wife in shackles rather than a romantic bond.

She couldn't handle the change. Who would? Having seen the blood of her lover stain the stone to prove that his love was nothing but a speck of sand for a diamond. That he was never worth her love due to his status.

Yet...

She was no different, even worse than a spec of sand, she knew she never had a heart of rubber rather glass. Too fragile to be true.

And there she was, shamelessly allowing them to control her body, even though she had a soul. Deciding her fate, even though she had a mind. To bring it all together, the blond baker was her heart.

"In the name of the Holy Spirit, I now solemnly declare you husband and wife. Let no one put asunder those that have been joined together today in the presence of almighty God. You may now kiss the bride"

Her eyebrows furrowed but in a flash, she displayed her neutral face. Of course, she was bothered by this situation if you still haven't got the hint.

Kiss...

No.

The kiss that was supposed to seal their fate, agreeing to their marital status yet she knew deep down her lips were only made for Manjiro.

Her lips that were so used to the feeling of his seemed so different when Chifuyu's lips brushed hers.

But, another thing that felt unfair was the fact that she could so freely see Chifuyu's face while she hid hers behind the translucent white cloth.

He never deserved this either. He would rather be back home with his friends drinking and laughing away the night.

During his bachelor party, he was the only one frowning as he took tiny sips of ale, eyes cast down while the ballroom filled with villagers and knights howled and cheered in the delight of the soon to be wed prince.

"What a luxury. Falling in love with princess L/n-"

"Oh yes, I've seen portraits of her. What a beauty! Should make a great queen for our highness, prince Chifuyu"

"What children they'd make!"

"Our kingdom would never be more prosperous"

Fuck off, he wanted to bellow. Yet, his voice was nothing but a feeble whisper as he uttered it under his breath.

It was not their fault they didn't understand the situation.

It was only theirs.