Chapter three: Adoption disaster

"Kallie, bed 473 please come down to room 105 for an adoption interview. Repeat, please come down to room 105 for an adoption interview. Clean your hands, face and fingernails too. " The loud speaker announced. I had already unintentionally made enemies with EVERY single girl because of jealousy every time my name is called on the loud speaker for an adoption interview. How how I would love to switch lives with them, no matter how bad they messed up in their past. Though they wouldn't with me, leg and all. Gotta go, and I hope this family is acutely nice for once.

"So, what is your favorite food to eat after you run for 1.2 miles?" The man and women sitting across from me asked. Gosh, these people are just plain weird. I really hope their not going to pick me as their foster parents. I can only imagine what's in their wardrobe and what they make to eat. Thinking about made me want to through up the cold stew and stale bread I ate this morning a couple of hours ago.

"Um. . . I don't really know if I ran 1.2 miles exactly and than eaten something after it. Also I can't, defiantly now. " I answered trying to make it polite but normal enough so they don't want to adopt me. But of course they had there mind set on doing just that. I looked at their faces and one emotion filled it, they were flabbergasted. They leaned their heads in and started whispering just like those nurses at the hospital when I thought they were kidnapping me. Oh my gosh!!!!!! The lady was the nurse that knew that I was afraid of the dark! Not Marcia but the second nurse that came in and tricked me. I sat there flabbergasted for a couple of seconds with my mouth hanging right open and my jaw almost reaching the floor. Why would they want me? She was a witch to me in the hospital. The caseworker nudged me in the ribs quite hard and it snapped me back to reality. The couple stopped whispering and and stared at me contently. It creeped me out the way they both looked exactly in the same way. They were probably getting ready another fire of questions for men to answer ready like a weapon against the most deadly villain which they considered me one now. I got ready to answer the most unusual question in the most normal way. Which, to me would be really easy. I snapped a look at the caseworker and remembered how she hated it when I was rude to the last family that came for an adoption interview. I shuddered remembering the pain and thoughts that my ear has been stretched out for days. Ow, that really hurt. . .

They looked at me again in the same unsettling stare as before. I shifted in my seat. Their stare made me super uncomfortable and uneasy. Jeez, just get over with the question already cause I sort of got to go pee.

"Okay," they said, " than what color socks do you wear when going to school on Fridays?" The man looked at me with eyes like slits. Fridays, again. They always come up as bad days in my life. I squirmed in my seat which looked a bit like the mexican hat dance enough for the caseworker supposedly standing quietly near the door way to give a tiny fake cough. I looked back at her to see if she wanted something but she sneered at me and did a forced smile at the couple sweetly.

"Um. . . I don't go to school, I've been home schooled since Pre-k." I lied knowing that they believed in being proper. They didn't even try to hold in their gasp. The caseworker and I heard it loud and clear. They leaned heads in and whispered quite loudly.

" We have to take her in!!! That poor Kaliee-poo has never gone to a real school." The woman whispered. I flinched when they called me Kaliee-poo because thats what my Mom used to call me when I was little. I held back tears because if one gets let out, they all do. Ever capture a bunch of flies? You one to let just one out but you know if you did you'd regret it in the end cause they'd all fly out some how? Thats how I felt right now. Like a trapped fly. No way out. Aperantly God had some good reason to make my destiny with the weird-est people known to man kind. Somehow, I have to learn to respect it. The caseworker pulls me aside by the ear and into the corner of the small room and whispered into my outstretched ear, "if they want to take you don't put up a fight. Trust me, we are fed up with you Kaliee, Ms. Popular." She seethed through clenched teeth.

"Okay!" The man said loud and cheery. He reminded me of a weird version of santa. I pushed the thought of having fun out of my head but I struggled with it like a  gymnast would struggle while trying to lift a 50 pound wait. "We've decided to take the darling home! We will teach her the wonders of being Jewish and how to farm and we will even board Kaliee into an all girls boarding school. Won't that be wonderful?"

The caseworker gave me a glare that made my whole body shiver, but I knew what she wanted. "Yes, I can't wait." I smiled meekly. 

"Okay, Kaliee go back to your bunk and pack while Mr. and Mrs. Abiline sign a couple of papers." The caseworker said, obviously not trying to cover up the big grin that covered her fat rat face. " Oh, and say goodbye to your friends." Gosh, is it so easy to know that I have no friends? I can swear that she set this up. 

I am at my bunk, lets see, stuff to bring. I pulled my suit case out from under the bed and undid the twine. My clothes were in there folded and neat. I pulled out the pouch that lay under the piles of clothes and unzipped it. Inside was Mom's wedding ring. I slipped it on my finger. There was a photo of my family in a meadow when we were younger. Dad was holding me high in the air and you can tell I was laughing. Mom was holding my brother, Ronny while he was holding a ice cream cone in his grubby hand and waring a silly grin. We were happy than, and together. Tears are streaming silently down my face. I hug my knees and rock slowly back and forth. I take out the snow glob that I got when we visited the Boston aquarium. I put them back in, maybe this family wouldn't be half as bad as I thought. . .