KABANATA 38

Will•••

Will
•••

“Happy birthday to you… Happy birthday to you…” A masculine vice was singing at my back. From the vibrant lights of the city, I transferred my gaze to him and smiled when I saw him holding a round shaped cake with candles on it.

Nakasuot pa siya ng party hat that made him look so adorable.

Nang makalapit siya ay roon ko nakita ang nakasulat sa ibabaw ng cake. “Happy 27th Birthday to the most amazing woman I’ve ever met.”

“Make a wish,” he said and so I closed my eyes made several wishes before blowing the candles. Pumalakpak naman ang ilang staffs na kasama niyang kumanta ng birthday song kanina.

After that, he led me to the table near the veranda kung saan ako naghihintay sa kanya kanina. While the dish and wine were being served, pinilit niya pa akong magsuot din ng party hat.

I just giggled and let him tie the string below my chin at pagkatapos ay kinunan ako ng picture.

“Bukas pa ang birthday ko,” I teased.

“I want to be the first one to greet you kaya inunahan ko na.”

“Thank you for this, I appreciate it.”

“Don’t think about it, I’ll do this to you on your every birthday.”

I was moved by his statement and gave him a smile of gratitude as we dug into our food.

“Kailan babalik ang asawa mo? May balak pa ba siya?” Leland suddenly asked. Ito ang unang beses niyang muling nagtanong about kay Gideon.

Tipid akong ngumiti. “He promised that he will. I believe him.”

“He better fulfill that promise, or else, aagawin na talaga kita sa kanya. Ang babaeng katulad mo ay dapat hindi pinaghihintay nang matagal.”

“I don’t mind waiting, it’s a part of a relationship. You know naman that our situation is not that simple.”

Nasabi ko kasi sa kanya ang tungkol doon dahil pinagkakatiwalaan ko naman siya.

Noong umalis si Gideon, mas lalo kaming naging malapit ni Leland. I don’t think of him now as an ex, more like a guy best friend and a brother. He sometimes he tries to be flirty with me pero hindi ko na lang pinapatulan.

“Are you saying that he’s an alien?” tanong niya nang isiwalat ko na hindi galing dito si Gideon. The spoon of vanilla ice cream that he was about to put in his was suspended in mid-air as he stared at me with that incredulous expression.

I chuckled at his response. “That’s not what I meant. He’s human but he came from a different dimension, different world.”

Tumango-tango siya. “Wow, so he was like a superhuman then…” he concluded afterwards.