Chapter Twenty-Five.

First my eyes blurred, then I couldn't see at all. I couldn't move: I couldn't even scream. The tips of my fingers that were tightly locked to the soul taker's hand were burning with a cold chill. My heart was pounding and I felt like someone was repeatedly punching the air out of me, slightly bent over as I made terrid choking sounds in an attempt to breath.

My eyes slid shut, useless even if they were open. Then the hold on my fingers was released. "Too strong. . ." The same haunting voice hissed, dragging the words out with a grating voice.

I fell back into the darkness, stumbling back along the cave floor and falling into Canarie who caught me, nails digging into my arm but I daren't complain.

"Shhhh." Canarie yelled in a whisper into my ear, cutting tiny half moon indentations into my arm with her sharp nails. I remained quiet, too shaken to reply.

"W-where is Lissette?" I asked Canarie after a minute of us staring into darkness, too scared in my case, and too lost in Canarie's case to start walking forwards into the unknown gloom.

"An old saying," Canarie muttered after a pause. "A saying I once read says that 'the monsters that hide the soul keep within the dark and hide their treasures even darker.'"

"So what does that mean? And how does that have any revelance to our situation?" I pointed in a half whisper, half shout, frustrated.

"Don't you see? It has everything to do with our situation! It all links!" Canarie snarled, and though it was too dark to see, I could feel her yellow-green eyes glowering into me.

"The monsters are the soul takers because they are montrous and they hide souls away from bodies. And the saying is saying that the soul takers are within the dark. This cave is dark! They're here! We already knew that but it only makes sense for them to keep the souls here, somewhere! Where it's darker! It all makes sense now!"

"How would we even get Lissette back? A soul is not a physical thing is it?"

"No," Canarie began, a smirk creeping onto her face. "But there is one way. You fish the air."

"What?!" I yelled, forgetting to be quiet. Canarie immediently slapped her hand over my mouth, preventing me from saying more even though I wouldn't have as soon as I realised my mistake.

"How would we fish the air?" I mumbled past her hand, reaching up to pull it from my face. "How would we not fish the air?" Canarie shot back with a giggle, leaving me confused.

"We just walk around until we found her soul then we-"

"How would we know when we've found her soul?"

"Trust me, I'll know. We'll find her soon enough. Then, we leave."

"Okay." I replied, shutting my eyes as there was little point in keeping them open in the pitch blackness.

"Let's go this way." Canarie grinned into the blackness, beginningv to walk in a random direction. I followed her, feeling a lot like a helpless sheep following a starving wolf, a creature in immense danger.