1.

Virks' House-Moga

After checking that she has packed all of her belongings and nothing has left behind, Tejo pulled her suitcase out of the room and went to greet the Virks for the last time. After a crying session with Dadi and Dadaji along with their blessings, she proceeded to Khushbeer to take his, as well.

"Papa ji, don't worry everything will be okay so will I. This daughter of yours is courageous, she knows how to handle herself."

"But Tejo," he was interrupted by Tejo, as she said, "I'll continue to keep in touch with you, fikar na kar." She took his blessings and went to Mahi's room.

Mahi was laying on her bed crying rivers of tears. Tejo was heartbroken at the sight. She has grown fond of Mahi ever since she stepped in Virks' house. The youngest of the Virks was what she wished her sister would be- compassionate and supportive.

"Mahi," Tejo called out to her.

She quickly wiped her tears and looked in the direction of the voice.

"Bhabhi-I mean Tejo di, are you leaving now?" She enquired.
"Not exactly, Mahi. In about 15 minutes, I'll leave. I'm just saying my final goodbyes but I won't say it to you, because I'll still keep in contact. Okay?" Tejo said.

Mahi could just hum, since she's hurt to say any words of comfort to Tejo. Tejo tightly hugged Mahi in an assuring way that it's all gonna be okay. She pecked Mahi's temple and exited the room. On her way out, she looked for Gurpreet to bid her bye before she departed for the train station.

She saw Gurpreet on the sofa in the living room in deep thoughts but the sound of the suitcase broke her reverie.

"Aunty ji, I'm sorry for all the pain and hurt that I may have caused your family. I hope that you forgive me, if not today or tomorrow but one day. I'm taking with me your blessings and good wishes, since I knew you've always wished the best for me." Gurpreet was shocked upon hearing Tejo's words. "I know it's for the betterment of the situation that you've asked me to leave Virk house. And I'm in no position to question your decision or even go against it even if I want to. I came back as a daughter in the family and I'm leaving as the daughter keeping the relationships intact."

Gurpreet finally spoke up, "Tejo, my dear, I know how deeply hurt you are but I can't allow my son to leave either. I'm so sorry, there's a better life for you out there and I hope you find it soon. May all the happiness you deserve be bestowed upon you. Take care of yourself, beta."

Fateh and Jasmine have just returned from the academy for lunch. He was stunned to see Tejo and her bags at the threshold of the house. Looking in her direction hoping she would say something to him, he got her ignorance in return. As she was about to step foot out of the house, a voice called out to her.

"Tejo," it was Jasmine who called her. "Aren't you forgetting something?" she asked. Tejo was utterly confused at the question but still asked, "what am I forgetting, Jasmine?"

"This," she said as she walked up to Tejo and got hold of her mangalsutra that she was still wearing. Tejo was baffled, she was fighting an inner battle but logic won as she said, "you're right. This doesn't belong to me, so I have no right to it anymore."

As she took off the mangalsutra, Fateh stood there being a hurt spectator to the events. Tejo walked up to him, took hold of his hands and placed the mangalsutra in them. He kept glancing between her face and the mangalsutra that was now placed in his hands.

• • • • • • •

Four Years Later - Chandigarh

"Sia, come baby. It's just a little bit, please drink it."
"Mumma, I don't want to drink milk. It's too yuck," the little troublemaker said.
"Sia,-" she was interrupted by the doorbell. "I'll be back and you have to finish this before you head to school."

"Good Morning," the visitor at the door said, as Tejo opened the door.
"Good Morning," she replied.
"Where is the little devil?" the visitor asked.
"She's throwing tantrums as she doesn't want to drink milk, help me out?" Tejo said.
"What will I get in return?" the intruder asked.
"Oh please, Aarav. Helpppp meee," Tejo whined and pushed him into the dining area.

"Hey Princess," Aarav greeted Sia as he pecked her cheeks. "All ready for school?"
"No dada, Mumma is giving me milk," she complained.
"But baby, milk makes you strong. Don't you want to be strong like Mumma," he asked Sia.
"Mumma isn't strong, Dada more strong," she said and giggled whilst leaving Tejo dumbfounded. Aarav suppressed his laugh looking at Tejo and listening to Sia.
"Okay Sia, no more teasing Mumma. Hurry up, drink your milk or else I'm not taking you to the park after school today," he told her.

Sia gulped her milk down and hurriedly wiped her lips whilst looking at her parents. "Okay dada, all done!" she said, giving them a thumbs up.

Aarav gives a victory smile to Tejo as he's accomplished the task she's given to him. She returned the smile to him as she handed Sia's backpack to him. Aarav collected the bag from Tejo, hugged her and pecked her temple. "See you later, baby" he whispered in her ears leaving her flushed as he called out to Sia as it was time for them to leave before she gets late for pre-K. Giving Tejo one glance at the door and a wink he left. Tejo was blushing as she continued to get ready for work.

The day passed with Tejo in Aarav and Sia's thoughts whilst simultaneously focusing on her work.

It was 4:30 p.m when she got home. As she opened the door, she heard laughter echoing in her living room. She entered and was greeted with a heartwarming scene. Aarav was on the floor tickling Sia as she squealed for Aarav to stop tickling her.

"Hey," Tejo greeted the duo as their laughter died down.
"Mummaaaa." Sia shouted as she got up and ran to Tejo and hugged her legs.
"Aww, you missed me that much?" Tejo asked.
"Haww, no Mumma. Save me from Dada, he tickles me." Sia said.

Tejo's eyes widened at Sia's confession and Aarav bursted out laughing. Tejo glared at Aarav and he stopped. Sia giggled at her mom's expressions before saying, "I missed you Mumma and so did Dada."

"I missed you too, baba" Tejo told Sia.
"And Dada, did you miss him too?" Sia innocently asked her mom, leaving Tejo speechless and blushing.
Aarav was looking at Tejo expectantly as he hoped she said yes to Sia's question.

Tejo's phone ringing saved her from answering the question. It was from Khushbeer. Despite leaving Moga for 4 years, she still kept in contact with him, they had that unbreakable father-daughter bond. She answered.

"Hello," she said.
"I'm fine, Papa. How are you?"
"Sia is fine, just being her mischievous self," Tejo said and Sia glared at her.
"No, she's having a two weeks break from school at that time."
"Really?! Oh my god, I'm so excited!"
"Okay Papa, we will talk later. Bye, take care."

Sia and Aarav could only hear one side of the phone conversation. After that one call, Tejo couldn't stop smiling.

"Simran Di and Buzzo are getting married next month. The dates have been finalized today and Papa has called to inform me. They've invited Sia, you and I to the wedding?" Tejo told Aarav.

Aarav was very happy that Tejo was happy but a little insecure about her going back to Moga since it was where he also resided. He always wondered whether she still had feelings for him, that's why she couldn't accept his proposal until now.

Tejo saw the change in Aarav's expressions and had an idea as to what he was thinking about. She slowly made her way to him and kept her hands over his as to assure him it's not what he thinks it is. He figured out her move and relaxed suddenly.

"So, are you coming with us to Moga? You know Sia, she won't allow you to stay here alone?" Tejo raised her eyebrows and asked him.
"Of course I'm going with you. I need to follow my girls everywhere they go," he said, pulling them into a hug.

_________________________________________
Take care of yourselves munchkins, take necessary precautions to keep you and your families safe. 'Til next time, stay safe. <3
-A.