3 | remember

The sudden flight of the younger girl shocked Napar for a moment, for she had never seen someone daring enough to make the move she had considered for years.

But then, her body moved on its own, chasing after the girl, pushing itself off the edge, desperate to save her...

to show her what it meant to live.

and why that was so so much better than the idea of flying she had in her head.

In that moment as Napar grabbed the younger one's hand, clasping onto the metal railings on the side of the roof, the reasons came to her.

The reasons why she never chose to do it. To fly.

Why she chose to live.

She remembered the bitter mornings when she came to school early, pulling herself and her schoolbag up the rusty ladder as she enjoyed a few moments under the rising sun before she had to assemble in her classroom.

She remembered all the days she would stare down, watching as rain droplets painted the light green grass into a much darker shade, mixing in the beautiful brown of the soil into the picture.

She remembered how she would drop her bag on the ground, standing atop the railing, feeling the cold air against her.

She remembered it all.

That little voice. Reminding her.

Maybe, just maybe. Flying wasn't worth it, when living had so much more in store for her.

So much more.

The gentle yet extraordinary laugh of Ms. Marsha ringing in her ears. The silent yet beautiful sound of the rain droplets against her skin. The thrilling feeling of letting her head out the car window as the car travelled faster than the wind. The desperate need to finish that book she was currently reading. The beautiful laugh her crush let out and the feeling in her heart that followed soon after. The sneaky attempts she and her sister made to sneak midnight snacks into their room as they secretly watched movies all night. The breeze of the wind in the early morning when the beautiful streaks of the sun lit of the fluffy clouds, creating a colour, a shade so extraordinary it always managed to give her chills and with it came a sense of awe.

The beauty of the world around her. The things she had yet to experience, to do. The people she had yet to meet. The people she loved.

It all came to her, in that split second.

And somehow, it almost felt funny. Why would she want to fly? When she could live?

 Why would she want to fly? When she could live?