+ | reasons

Napar glanced at the students that stood below, some with tears in their eyes, others with shocked expressions.

Some of them have wanted to fly too.

It occurred to Napar just then that perhaps she wasn't the only one to whom the thought of flying had presented itself.

And that day, she decided would make sure they understood why she chose to live, and why it was far better than flying.

Once again looking over the edge of the roof and out at the students, Napar shouted out loud, her voice carrying over the sound of the rain, "TODAY I CHOOSE TO LIVE! BECAUSE I HAVE YET TO HAVE MY FIRST KISS!"

Some laughs followed, others smiled slightly. So did Vita, her face a bittersweet mixture of sadness and happiness, as she too stood beside Napar, closed her eyes and shouted, "TODAY, I CHOOSE TO LIVE... BECAUSE I REALISE I AM NOT ALONE."

She paused for a second before adding on, "A-AND ALSO... BECAUSE I HAVEN'T HAD A MOVIE MARATHON WITH MY BEST FRIEND YET!"

And from down below came another voice, distant but still heard, "I CHOOSE TO LIVE, BECAUSE MY BABY SISTER STILL HASN'T TAKEN HER FIRST STEPS YET!"

A cacophony of voices followed, some whispers that caressed like the wind, other shouts that shot jolts of lightning, but all expressing the reasons they had chosen to live, even if it was just for that day.

"I CHOSE TO LIVE TODAY BECAUSE I WANT TO SEE MY CAT GIVE BIRTH!"

"I WANT TO LIVE BECAUSE I HAVE YET TO FINISH READING PERCY JACKSON!"

"My brother is visiting tomorrow!"

"MY MOTHER GAVE ME A HUG TODAY!"

"I want to go home and sing in the shower."

"I'M GOING ON A DATE THIS SATURDAY!!"

Completely random reasons, some big, some small, yet all extraordinary.

"I MANAGED TO MAKE MR LIM LAUGH TODAY!"

"SOMEONE SAID THEY ENJOYED MY STORY ON WATTPAD!"

"My dad finally found a job."

"I want to go to UCL!"

"I WANT TO BECOME A BAKER!!"

"EID IS ON MONDAY!"

"I WANT TO GO STARGAZING AND DANCE IN THE RAIN!"

"MY SISTER."

"I have yet to meet my internet bestie!"

"I AM GOING TO SPAIN DURING THE HOLIDAYS!"

"I AM GRADUATING THIS YEAR!!"

The shouting continued, as students, teachers, canteen vendors, security guards, all alike, shared their reasons as to why they have powered through and decided to keep living.

And at that moment, Vita realised that there are just so so many reasons to live.

And maybe it was time for her to live. Not the way she had used to, but in a way that made her feel alive.

- 💗 -

Have you perhaps wondered the reason why you choose to live today?

Even if it's just one, even if it's completely random, even if it's just a teeny, tiny, small reason, even if it sounds utterly stupid (well, of course it's not if it's the reason why an angel chooses to stay on)... it's completely and totally valid.

"I HAVE NO REASON... I JUST WANT TO LIVE," Someone shouted, and yes, Vita realised, even that is a beautiful reason to live, to stay on, to breathe.

Sometimes, life may bring upon us its soul-crushing burdens, relentlessly pushing down us further into a deep pit of pitch black darkness, straining our will, our desire to live as we struggle to hold ourselves together against the storm of uncertainties, insecurities, emotions that build up inside, killing us from deep within.

And yet, there's always this teeny-tiny spark within all is us, this minuscule will to live, that sometimes may take a little coaxing (or maybe even a lot more) to build up into a fire that reminds us of all the things, the reasons, that we have to stay for.

The gorgeous thanking smiles that we receive from others for our small kind acts, the laughs that we have yet to hear, the friends we have yet to make, and those that we have made so far, the ones who have stuck around till now through all our ups and downs, the feel of the cool air against our skin, the need to meet our internet friends who have gotten us through our toughest time, the next chapter of our favourite wattpad novel, the saving of our money to finally escape into a better place. All the good that has yet to come.

So many reasons, for you to stay.

Live on, you angel.

fin.