Chapter 6

I stand with my back straight and trying to hold my composure as Harriet opens the front door. My face falls as I see the very clean man standing in front of me. His hair is gelled and he's wearing a button down shirt and khakis and has a nice cologne on. This isn't what I was expecting my dad to look like.

"Ava... it's so good to see you, you look healthy and happy." He looks me up and down as I do the same to him, although I'm sure I look like an ass because I'm hardcore judging him right now.

"Uhhh, hi." I totally freeze and don't even know what to say so hi will have to do.

He laughs then. "I get it, it's totally out of the blue and random that I'm standing here right now. I'd like if we could catch up though, would that be okay?" He looks at Harriet then as he's asking permission.

"Yes, I think that would be lovely. Go on Ava." She winks at me like she knows I'll be okay. 

I follow my father out to his car and he opens the passenger door for me. He doesn't have to do this, any of this for that matter. I shift uncomfortably in the leather seat. This is so awkward, I feel like I need a chaperone with me, who knows what his plan is with me. I keep my focus on the road in front of me to keep the tension low.

"So, I know this is so all of a sudden Ava but I ran into your mother while out an about on the town and I couldn't believe it was her. She looks horrible and it occurred to me you were not with her so we stopped and had a chat. I'm SO sorry Ava, I had no idea she had ended up this bad, I never should have walked out on her. I should've gotten her the help that she needed right then and there." He sounded genuine but it also sounded like he was begging for my forgiveness and we'd live happily ever after.

"Why are you just noticing now that I haven't been with my mother? Why didn't you ever call to check in on us?!" I was not going to hold back anymore, I need answers.

"I know and I'm so sorry Ava. I wanted nothing to do with your mother anymore. I didn't think you'd want anything to do with me since you were so young." He admits.

"Why would you think that? I was a little girl. I needed BOTH my parents especially when my mother was struggling deeply. You should've been there but you weren't. I've been with the Richards family for eight years now, they're the only family I have and will ever be with so don't think you can just show up and take me away because I REFUSE to live your fancy new life."

I was becoming angry now, I just wanted out of the car.

He was speechless and looked defeated.

"Where are you even taking me?" I growl.

"I thought I'd take you to the marina like we use to do as a family. But it sounds like you are very unpleasant with me. I can take you back if you'd like."

I think back to what Harriet said about Natalie leaving us permanently to go live with her new family and I felt the tears start to form in my eyes. I guess I have nothing to lose.

"It's fine, we can still go." I mutter and I look over to see a smile appear on his face then. I guess he owes it to me.

We arrive shortly and he parks in the parking lot near an ice cream stand. I get out of the car and see a familiar figure standing against the railing looking out at the water. My heart stops then. No. He didn't do this. I look at him as he shoves his hands into his pockets then.

"She wanted to see you and she knew this was the only way. I promised her." 

"So you didn't even want to see me? This was all just a ploy to get me to see her? You know she has visitations once a month, right?" I look at him appalled. How ridiculous, I can't believe I've been fooled.

"Actually Ava, I lost my visitations rights as of recently." Mom turns around then. She looks awful. Her hair is matted, she has wrinkles all over her face, her skin color a fake tan. She's got one fake eyelash on, the other missing. She's wearing a kimono and a tank top and jeans. She looks horrible. She doesn't look like my mom.

"Don't come near me, please." I put my hands out in front of me as she steps closer.

"Who even are you two anymore?" I back up further, reaching into my romper pocket for my phone. I need to get out of here.

"Don't be scared of us baby, we can't lose you again." Mom pleads. Oh my god, they're trying to kidnap me.

"You two will NEVER be my parents! Harriet and Hudson are my family!" I was screaming with tears running down my face now.

"Honey please just hear your mother out." My dad had the AUDACITY to say.

"No! Leave me alone!" I cry, running in the other direction.

I can't believe I was so stupid to think my dad actually cared about me and wanted to see me for the first time in over eight years. My mom's a mess, she'll never fix her old ways and get custody of me again. I have two years left in the system, my time is almost up.

I pull out my phone and dial home. Garrett picks up. 

"Fuck come on!" I cry into the phone.

"Ava? Is that you? What's wrong?" His instincts kick in then. Garrett can actually be pretty protective over us girls even though he tries to act all tough sometimes. 

"Garrett, I need a ride. I'm at the marina, my dad tricked me. Him and my mom tried kidnapping me. HELP!" I scream into the phone, my vision becoming blurred from my tears.

"Holy shit, I'll grab Harriet right now. You need to get somewhere safe. What's nearby?" He asks.

"Uh, an ice cream stand but that's near my parents. Oh wait, I see a shelter!" 

"Okay, please go over there and make sure there's others around you. We will be there as soon as we can." I do as he instructs and wipe my tears away and take some deep breaths.

I make sure my parents aren't running after me, but it appears they're just screaming at each other, probably because they failed at their mission.

A few minutes pass and I start to get nervous but not for long because I see Harriet's van pull up with all my foster siblings inside, including Natalie. Natalie flies out of the van before it even comes to a complete halt and runs into my arms.

"Oh Ava, are you okay?" She cries into my shoulder as I cry into hers.

"I'm fine." I mumble.

Harriet and Hudson come running out of the car then.

"Are you hurt? Did they touch you?" Harriet asks, checking me over.

"I'm fine, they didn't touch me. They're over there arguing." I point to the water.

"Hudson, call the authorities. Let's get you home." Harriet leads us back to the van then.

I sit next to Lily who has a grumpy look on her face. "Lily, what's wrong?" 

"You didn't make cookies with me!" She pouts.

I laugh, "We'll make them when we go home, okay? All of us, as a family." I smile through the tears and for the first time in awhile, I see Hailey smile.

"Why so happy Hailey?" I ask.

"I'm not gonna lie, when Garrett told me what was happening, I was really worried we weren't going to get to you in time. I'm really glad you're apart of this family Ava and I've been meaning to tell you this for awhile now."

"Oh Hailey!" I reach over and give her a side hug.

Natalie sits in silence then and looks out the window. I scooch over and sit next to her and squeeze her hand.

"It's okay, I get it." I smile and lean my head onto her shoulder for the ride home.