The Next Right Thing

"Pa?" Charlotte mumbles, her eyes slowly adjusting to get a better view of the dark room. She was recently woken up by a loud bang followed with loud sobs.

"Get back to your room, Charl." Her father replied rather harshly. She covered her mouth and nose quickly when hints of metallic smell finally hit her. Without asking more questions, little Charlotte ran to her room, quickly pulling her blankets up to continue her sleep. She was too innocent to realize what had been going on in the house.

When she finally closed her eyes, a loud
alarm blares through her house. Charlotte instantly gets excited, she hasn't been out for so long, and she had yet to see an actual police. "Oh, a police car! I've always wanted to see one!"

Excited, her blanket was thrown beside the bed as she moves towards the front door.

As an adult with longer legs, her father
was at the front door before her, with less energy to deal with the cops. She engulfed her father in a big hug.

"Officer, she doesn't know what is going
on." Her father pleads to the officer. The
cop nods sympathetically. Charlotte,
oblivious of what's going on stared at the
officer in awe, when she glanced around, she was almost starstruck by all the people in their outfits.

Then she noticed her mother. "Oh, mommy! Look, so many police!" She stared at her mother who was laying stiff, getting carried away by unfamiliar people.

"Hey, where are you taking mommy?" She ran to them. They are of course, faster than her. When she stopped, the ambulance's door was already closed.

"Kid, what are you trying to do?" The worker asks without emotions.

"Mommy's in there," She pointed to the
ambulance. "She's dead, kid." He replied, disappearing from her sight almost as quickly as he said that.

~

"Angel, stop." Eight years old Charlotte stared at her father with red sore eyes. "I know what dead means, dad. You can't trick me, I've seen too many news about them,"

"I told you not to watch-" He was cut off by his own daughter,

"So how did she die?" Charlotte glared at her father. She was done playing innocent. Something inside her had snapped, and her father had yet to know that. He had never seen his polite daughter this way. She managed to get him speechless.

"How?" Charlotte hisses, rocking against
her mom's favorite chair harshly. Her mind was blank, the seven years old didn't know what she was saying. All she felt was anger and hatred.

"Charlotte, you're not big enough for this. You will understand what happened soon," Her father tried to calm her down but to no avail.

She chuckled a deep chuckle, the
deepest her father have heard yet. Shiver ran through her father's body, slightly recognizing the chuckle.

"Not big enough? Oh, baby, I totally
understand by now," Charlotte's father
backed away from the cackling maniac.

"How I died? Stabbed, thousands of times by you. I asked you why, do you remember what you answered? 'It's because I love you baby'. Well guess what? I love you too,"

"M-martha wait!" And that was the last
words spoken by Blake Swanson.

His body was found stabbed 27 times,
with no trace of the murderer.Charlotte told the police that she woke up in her bedroom as usual and found her father laying down dead on the living room, a rose beside him with the word "I love you" written in a pool of blood right beside him.

No matter how much Charlotte tried to be sad about his death, she can't. It all felt right, she even thought that her parents were living happily in heaven.

After her mother's death, it was as if her father's death is perfectly well timed. It was as if the event was the next right thing to happen, occuring after her mother's death.

The person investigating the crime scene had thought that it might be one of Blake's exes that wants revenge, but all of his exes died long ago.