~5~

-Ranboo-

December 23rd

The doorbell rang at around noon, just when Grandma Got Run Over should have been getting out. So my first thought was that somehow Tommy had tracked me down. His uncle in the CIA had run fingerprints, and they were here to arrest me for impersonating someone worthy of Tommy's interest. I took a practice run for the perp walk as I headed over to the peephole. Then I peeped, and instead of finding a boy or the CIA, I saw Tubbo shifting from side to side.

"Tubbo," I said. "I'm out of here!" he called back. Tubbo. Short for Toby, a nickname that soon being a name. Tubbo hated when we called him by his real name, he was a little bit of stubborn and kind of child. He also happened being one of my oldest friends since we were little kids. We had a pre-Christmas ritual dating back to when we were seven of going to the movies together on the twenty-third. Tubbo's tastes hadn't changed that much since then, so I was pretty sure what movie he was going to choose.

Sure enough, as soon as he bounded though the door, he cried, "Hey! You ready to go see Collation?" Collation was, of course, the new Pixar animated movie about a stapler who falls helplessly in love with a piece of paper, cause all of his others office-supply friends to band together to win her over. Oprah Winfrey was the voice of the janitor who kept getting in the young lovers' way.

"Look," Tubbo said, emptying his pockets, "I've been getting Happy Meals for weeks. I have all of them expect Lorna the lovable three-hole punch!" He actually put the plastic toys in my hands so I could examine them. "Isn't this the three hole punch?" I asked. he slapped his forehead. "Dude, I thought that was the expandable file folder, Frederico!" As Fate would have it, Collation was playing at the same theater to which I'd sent Tommy. So I could keep my playdate with Tubbo and still intercept Tommy's message before any rascals or rapscallions got to it.

"Where is your mom?" Tubbo asked. "At her dance class," I lied. If he'd had any inkling that my parents were out of the town, he would've been on the horn to his mom so fast that I would've been guaranteeing myself a Very Tubbo Christmas. "Did she leave you any money? If not I can probably pay" "Don't you worry, my guileless pal," I said putting my arm around him before he could even take his goat off. "Today the movies on me."

I wasn't going to tell Tubbo about my other erranded, but there was no getting rid of him when I ducked behind Grandma's cardboard booty to find the loot. "Are you okay?" he asked. "Did you lose your contact lens?" "No. Someone left something for me here." "Oohh!" Tubbo was not a big guy, but he tended to take up a lot of space, because he always jittering around. He kept peering over cardboard Gramma's shoulder, and I was sure it was only a matter of time before the minimum-wage popcorn would evict us.