Chapter | 9

It was Monday, my shift in pagliuzza was later. So my mom asked me to take her to a store.

After picking her up, we took a taxi and bought some things she needed. We decided to walk home as my mother had spent more money than expected.

We were walking in a quiet street, with a few people around. Suddenly my mother stopped walking.

- Mom? What happened?

- I need to see something in my bag...

And before she could finish the sentence, 3 men in black hoodies and matching masks stopped us. With knives in their hands, they ordered us to put our hands in the air while the men searched our belongings.

obviously I was desperate, but my mother had no expression other than wide-eyed out of sheer nervousness.

Very carefully, I tried to look at what they messed with my mom so much, and I don't think I ever had a worse vision.

One of those men was harassing my mother in the middle of the street. I didn't know what to do, didn't know where to look, didn't know anything.

On impulse, my only reaction was to try to react to it all. I tried desperately to kick, scream, punch, any of those men in front of me, all to no avail.

- Yeobeena! Stop, please! Yeo Been!

I could hear my mother's voice as she yelled at me to stop, but for the moment, I didn't care.

despite being at a disadvantage, I managed to fend off a man in front of me, and in that short period, I pulled my mother by the arm in an attempt to get away from the men in black.

which unfortunately also failed.

One of them stabbed my mother in the body, right near a vital spot. They grabbed my things and ran away.

I looked at the whole situation in a confused, lost way. I looked down at the floor which was completely filled with blood, accompanied by my mother's body.

people came to help, call an ambulance while I just saw my mother unconscious on the asphalt.

- Mom? you... are there right? come on, wake up...

- Mom...

Quickly the ambulance arrived. They put us inside the vehicle, immobilized and quickly treating her wounds, trying to get to the hospital as quickly as possible.

A nurse asked me some questions, which I couldn't even hear because my mind was full of things.

After we arrived at the hospital, my mother was quickly transferred to an emergency unit and I went to a room where my injuries were treated.

About 5 hours later I was still waiting for news the doctor promised to give me.

- Miss Jeon Yeo Been?

A tall, probably middle-aged doctor came to see me.

- Yes?

- Well, your mother is no longer in a serious condition. She hasn't woken up yet, but she's getting better. Luckily the stab was not deep.

- That's good...

- And are you alright miss? Have you already received treatment?

- Yes, I've just been waiting until she wakes up. Now I'm going to her house to get some belongings and things like that, I'll come back later.