Chapter 1: Venti the bard

***

When I first opened my eyes, everything was in a blur. I blinked a few times, trying to adjust my vision to the blinding sunlight, drowsily listening to the soothing sound of distant waves crashing on the shore. A light breeze was gently tickling my skin, maintaining me awake.

As the world around me slowly began to take shape, I realized that I was in a place I had no memory of. My body was lying on the warm sand, a few feet away from the ocean. The sky above was clear, and the weather was neither too hot nor too cold. Everything felt strangely relaxing, unreal even...

That is, until I caught a glimpse of an unknown figure out of the corner of my eye.

Someone was sitting cross-legged next to me, fiddling with some sort of instrument that I could hardly recognize in my dazed state. I squinted my eyes in a surprisingly successful attempt to get a better look at him. It was a young man with child-like features and a mane of braided, jet-black hair that turned to glistening turquoise at the ends. Bizarre clothes along with a beret-looking hat adorned his form.

He was humming along an unfamiliar tune, his fingers trailing over the strings of a beautiful silver lyre.

Recalling last night's events, I felt a shiver run down my spine. "What am I doing here, of all places? Shouldn't I be in a hospital?"

Despite my wish to lie down a little while longer and enjoy this unexpected yet far from unwelcomed performance, I knew I definitely had to get up. I struggled to regain control of my sore limbs. Pain flooded my whole body but I was still able to sit up regardless.

The mysterious individual seemed to have noticed my sudden movements, seeing as he shifted his gaze towards me.

"Oh, are you awake?" His cheerful voice, tinged with concern, was as melodious as the passing breeze.

With my throat aching, speaking was no easy task. I gathered all my strength, managing to weakly mutter a "Who are you...?"

"Well," he began, "I am Venti, renowned bard of the City Of Freedom, delighted to make your acquaintance, traveller!"

Traveler? City-of-the-what now? My eyebrows furrowed. Ever since that crash, nothing's been making sense.

"Just what the hell's going on?"

I quickly dismissed the question whatsoever, fearing what the answer might be.

"Where are we exactly?" I asked. The shore, the sand, the birds... Truly a breathtaking sight, yet devoid of any traces of humanity except for me and Venti.

"We are in Mondstadt, one of the seven nations of Teyvat."

Mondstadt...

I had never heard of that name or anything like it for that matter, which left me puzzled.

"I guess you must not be in the greatest of conditions... here." While I was lost in thought, the young bard had reached into his pocket and pulled out a red apple, offering it to me. I gratefully accepted his act of kindness, happily biting into the crisp, tasty fruit.

"How did I get here? And how long have I been asleep for?" I asked in between two bites.

"I'd say you've been sleeping for half a day in the very least. As for how you found yourself in here, I feel like I should be the one to ask."

...

Yesterday's happenings began to replay in my head. The landscape around me faded out completely, giving way to a film invisible to the outside world. The blinding headlights, the pain of the impact and that floating sensation right after...

The reminiscence of a moment that I hoped was only a nightmare.

Was I losing my mind? Maybe this really is all a dream?

But it all seemed so real, so vivid... Like an out of body experience. 

I am no stranger to the fantastic genre; reincarnation, monsters, villains... however, being in such situation leaves me quite baffled.

The last thing I remember is an accident, my own. If I truly did pass away, then what is the reason behind my sudden appearance here? Where even is "here" anyway?

Behind my forehead, the onset of an astronomical headache made me wince in pain. Venti inched closer, the feeling of his palm resting on my shoulder drawing me out of my own thoughts.

"I- I'm fine..."

Silence fell for a few seconds before he spoke again.

"The wild is no place for unsuspecting outlanders, best if I lead you to the city"

He got up, stretched, then reached out his hand to me. Feeling better than when I first regained consciousness, I quickly got to my feet.

''Oh, and don't forget your bag!'' He chimed, pointing to the ground.

I looked down and immediately recognized the shoulder bag lying on the sand. My purse being too small to hold both my computer and personal belongings, I always settled for backpacks and such when going to work, which I deemed a more profitable option. I was tempted to open it but maybe it is best to arrive to the safety of the city before doing so... Also, Venti was already couple meters ahead, leaving me by myself...

''HEY WAIT FOR ME-''

***

After 3 weeks of internal dilemma I decided to publish this, see y'all next year when I finally get the motivation to write chapter 2 hj/