Where to next?

By the time we had reached our destination, it was already past noon. Two men stood guard at the entry gate, brows arched in suspicion at the sight of me, their grip on a dangerously sharp spear tightening. Though I made it through without a hitch, I could still feel their eyes staring holes in my back as I set foot into the burg.

Mondstadt was a bustling city, to say the least. Countless and diverse merchants littered the streets at every corner, selling all sorts of trinkets and delicacies, children were up and about all over the place, playing and laughing under the watchful eye of the many knights who roamed the area. I couldn't help but look around in wonder; it truly felt like the scenery was pulled straight out of a fairy tale.

"Our first stop will be the cathedral!" Venti announced excitedly.

-The cathedral?"

The young boy had already provided me with some general knowledge regarding this world. Teyvat was made up of seven nations, each ruled and overseen by a different god. Mondstadt worshipped the anemo archon, Barbatos, god of the wind.

"Yep, we need to get you checked-up, remember? The cathedral serves not only as a religious institution, but also as a medical facility; you'll be in good hands."

\\\

Following what felt like an endless amount of stair climbing, we finally arrived at the church. The old wooden door let out an eerie shriek as we pushed it open, signalling our presence to the clergy and the few believers present in the hall. One of the sisters approached us.

"Are you two looking for something?" She asked.

-Actually, Sister Victoria, we are looking for someone. Is Barbara around?

-Barbara? Why yes, I believe certain chores require her attention downstairs... Is it important?

-It is indeed quite an urgent matter. You see, I've come across this traveler while out in the wild and would be most grateful if the deaconess was willing to make use of her healing abilities to check my new friend here for any injuries."

"Is that so?" Upon giving it some thought, she concluded cordially. "Very well, I'll see what I can do for you. May the anemo archon protect you."

It wasn't long before a young girl emerged from the stairway. She was clad in a knee-length white dress, embellished with various accessories. A small hat, fitting perfectly with the rest of her outfit, rested on top of her head, between her platinium blonde pigtails. Her shoes clattered on the floor as she stepped closer.

"Oh, you again..." As soon as her eyes landed on the dark-haired boy next to me, a frown settled on her face.

"Why yes, glad to see you too Barbara." Replied the ever-so-cheerful musician.

An annoyed sigh escaped her lips. Choosing to deliberately ignore the poor guy, she addressed me instead. "You must be the traveler sister Victoria mentioned, please follow me."

"Aw, such a cold greeting~" Venti dropped dramatically onto one of the pews before pulling out his lyre. "I will be eagerly awaiting for your return traveler~"

I merely nodded in confirmation, then headed to the room designated by Barbara.

White walls, a few cabinets, a bed and the smell of medicine lingering in the air... And to think this is part of a medieval church and not a hospital.

I took a seat on the mattress whilst we engaged in a friendly banter. Using what she called her "vision," she examined me in no time. Venti had notified me about magic being a common occurrence in Teyvat, yet that didn't make this whole experience any less impressive.

"It's a little odd... you look like you've been injured and yet there's no physical evidence of anything..." She paused, her lips curling up into a pout, "I'll just give you some pain-reducing medicine, and if that doesn't work, the wolfhooks seem like an equally good option..."

A few minutes later, I was all good to go. As much as I wanted to extend our little chat a tad bit longer, I knew Venti was probably bored out of his mind waiting.

"Thanks Barbara, I really owe you one." My pounding headache had cleared up and I was no longer in any pain. To say she was a lifesaver was an understatement.

"Don't mention it! Come to me if you ever need anything!"

With my companion by my side, I left the church after waving goodbye to the deaconess.

"Where to next?" We both stood quietly at the foot of the huge statue of the Seven, whose back was turned toward the cathedral. "It's getting late..."

The sun was already beginning to set, painting the sky in different shades of pink and orange.

"You're right, it's getting dark..." He was holding his chin with his thumb and index finger, deep in thought. Somehow it felt out of character for him to be so serious... "Staying here won't do us any good, let's go!"

"Let's go? Go where?"

Either he didn't hear me, or he just didn't bother answering, instead humming yet another song. One thing's for sure, he was my only guide, so best for me to keep up with him...

***

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitely not proud of this chapter... Why is it so rushed and why are Venti's dialogues so cringy   ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽  (Might edit later)

On a sidenote, I'll do my best to update this book at least once a week 👍