Chapter One

1

ALICE

I had passed the tree every morning on the weekend. It was weird. She was weird. Her hair was short, like boys. She wore dresses and never had shoes on. Even when winter came around, she didn't wear shoes. Her face was usually bare buy some days she wore lipstick in all sorts of colors.
I don't know how I noticed all this, because it took me only about two or three seconds to pass her every morning, but I did. We never talked, and most of the time when I passed her she had her eyes closed as if she was meditating or something.
Today was no different. I could see her from the distance as I rode my bike closer and closer. Today she was in a white dress and she had a dark red lipstick. Her legs were crossed under her neatly and her hands were in her lap. She was sitting in the tree, in a big hole that was in the center of it, just like always.
I pedaled closer, almost to her at this point. It was quick two seconds as i passed, but just enough time for me to hear a small voice utter out a "Hey" that had me putting my feet down to stop my bike, I could hear my shoes skid and i looked back a little, seeing that her eyes were still closed and she was sitting in the same position as before. I questioned if she had even said anything or if it was just my mind making things up.
"Can i have a paper?"
Her voice was soft but it fit her perfectly, along her obvious British accent, Her eyes remained closed and her body unmoving, giving me time to actually take in her looks up close for once.
Her hair was a little longer then I originally thought, and it had a little bit of a wave to it. It reminded me of caramel, the way it shined and how it looked so smooth. Her nails was painted yellow, but the paint was chipping away, some fingers not having any at all. She was small, and i never realized just how big the hole in the tree was until I saw her up close sitting in it.
"Why are you staring?"
Her question brought me out of my trance of observing her, and i blinked, trying to stutter out an apology but staying silent with my mouth agape instead. How did she even know I was staring when her eyes were still closed?
"Is that a no to the paper?"
I furrowed my eyebrows at her question. Her eyes opened up at my silence then, letting me see how dark they were. They were almost black, and her light colored eyelash was made them stand out a bit. She pointed to my side, making me look down and gave the bag I had thrown over my shoulder.
"Can i have one?"
I looked in my bag, knowing I only carried around one extra newspaper. It was for me, and I hadn't missed a paper day in almost a year. Something about this odd girl who sat in the tree everyday had me grabbing one out though and extending it to her. She went to grab it, but her hand grabbed my wrist instead, pulling me towards her. I stumbled, still being on my bike, and i watched as she touched the black leather bracelet I had on. Her finger traced purple flower on it delicately.
"I like this. What does it mean?"
I looked down at where she was holding my wrist and smiled barely.
"It's an Iris. For my mom."
She nodded at my answer, releasing my wrist and taking a paper out of it. I watched as she set it next to her and looked back up at me.
"What's that song you sing everyday?"
I looked at her with confusion and shook my head, not knowing what she was talking about. I was right about this girl being odd.
"I love you so, Please let me go, I love you so, Please let me go," She sang softly.
She looked back up at me and shrugged. I didn't know what to say. I didn't expect her to sing, and I was surprised at how nice her voice had sounded.
"That's the only part I remember. You sing it a lot when you pass by."
My cheeks grew a bit red at the thought of her hearing me sing every day under my breath. I didn't think anyone could hear me.
"I love you so By The Walters"
She nodded and looked at her nails. picking a bit of the paint off.
"I like it"
I nodded back and I looked around, not sure what to say anymore. It was quiet and a small breeze blew by making me shiver a bit. I looked to the girl whose eyes were closed and noticed her bare feet.
"Why don't you wear shoes?"
She opened her eyes and looked at her feet.
"Don't like them much."
I didn't say anything, not positive of what kind of reply to have to that. She looked at me with a stare that made me nervous. Her eyes were too intense to look straight into, so I looked down awkwardly as she continued to analyze me.
"Do you like having freckles?"
I looked back up but then away quickly as i saw her eyes still on me. Before i could answer she was talking again.
"When i was staying with my grandmother one summer, we would paint every afternoon to end the dat. When you ran your thumb against the bristles at the end of the paintbrush just barely, you would get tiny little dots of the paint all over your finger. That's what your freckles remind me of."
I stayed silent, not sure on why she had told me  that story or what i was supposed to say in reply.
"Don't you have to deliver the rest of your papers?"
I looked to my bag that was weighing down on my shoulders and then back up at her, hiving a small "yes" in reply. She nodded.
"I guess I'll she you tomorrow then."
I picked the bag on my shoulder more and got ready to continue riding my bike on my paper route.
"Okay"
She looked at me and tilted her head a bit, looking like a puppy.
"I liked our talk Papergirl."
I nodded and smiled a bit.
"Me too"
I started to pedal away then, not wanted to be too late on delivering the rest of my newspapers. I was almost to the corner of the street when i heard a "hey!" Bring called out from behind me. I stopped and looked back at the girl who who was now out of the tree standing next to it, bare feet and all.
"Bye!"
She waved her small hand at me, making me do the same. A smile broke across her face and I swear my heart stopped. She was a happy person and I wouldn't mind talking to her again. She was odd but in a good way. I starter back towards my original direction and turned the corner, the girl leaving sight completely.
I usually didn't care too much about delivering papers but now i did just a little. I passed out my papers fast as if it would make tomorrow come faster. As it I would be able to see her sooner.

The girl in the tree was weird, but I couldn't wait to have a talk with her again tomorrow.

<3