1. Just Take Every Day As It Comes

Thursday 21st November 2016

Erika

I live a simple life, working day in, day out. I'll admit, it isn't easy with my A-level exams and home life all in one intake but I get by just fine most of the time.

Every day is the same. After school, I work in my family's café where I'm a waitress, nothing special. It's local to my school so I see a lot of people I know more of than I intend to. But, work's work and, sadly, I don't get paid for it.

As usual, I stand behind the counter in the café. We haven't had customers in weeks. Well, at least not enough to say we're rushed off our feet.

My two stepsisters sit in the corner in a booth covered with blue and white cushions. Celine is prettier than Melody, but not by a great deal. She has short blonde hair that just reaches her shoulders and she is extremely thin; too thin. She often wears too much make-up and clearly doesn't know how to apply it. Eye-shadow is regularly smeared on her face and her eyebrows are coloured in to be two or three times larger than their actual size.

Her feet rest on top of the table, which is between the two loungers, and she rests back into her seat with a magazine in her hands. "Cinderella!" she exclaims.

I roll my eyes. The name is not mine, only one that belongs to a silly little fairy tale. Something my two stepsisters love to joke about. I'd like to think my life is a fairy tale, but the sad truth is that it's nothing of the sort. I walk toward their table.

"Oh, sorry, you don't like that name do you?" she keeps flicking through her magazine, not acknowledging my presence whatsoever. "Not that Erika is any better."

Melody lets out a laugh with a snort. The sound makes me cringe. Melody has always had the mannerisms of a swine. Even her nose is slightly tilted like one that's owned by a pig. She's younger than Celine but they act like twins, following one another around and doing as Celine says.

"What can I get you?" I ask, sitting into my right hip and pulling out a small notebook and pen from the little pocket in my black pencil skirt, trying to treat them as I would any other customer.

"A filter coffee and a slice of cappuccino cake." Celine demands, as she alters her gaze to her nails, picking at her cuticles.

I don't bother to write it down and turn around after seeing Melody entranced in her magazine. I began to walk towards the 'Staff-Only' door but as I reach it I'm prevented from continuing my footsteps as Celine speaks.

"And my history essay."

I turn back to face her again. "What?"

"Oh," her smile is smug as she removes her feet from the table and places her magazine on top of it instead. "Didn't I tell you before now? Silly me," the sarcasm shines through her voice, "It's a 1000 word essay on the civil rights movement and the deadline is tomorrow. I've got my pedicure this evening so I shall leave it to you. That shouldn't be a problem," she looks to me, "Should it?" she has a very prominent British accent. However, she ruins it with her poor pronunciation of the words she speaks, not recognising the letter 'T' in most words she says.

"You know that when I'm done here I have to do my chores at home. I don't have the opportunity to do it for you. I need rest tonight. I have an exam tomorrow afternoon." I don't often answer back but my exams are a priority at the moment; especially if I want to go out and get a degree soon.

"Just do it Erika."

I turn around to see my stepmother standing at the door I was about to enter. Her face is stern and every crease displayed makes her plastic surgery seem like the money has been thrown away. She wears a dress that clings to her every curve and ends at her thighs. She must have another date with a guy that would most probably be half her age. It is difficult to remember that she is still married to my father. He's so oblivious to what she gets up to when he's away.

"But I-" I start.

"Erika." Her eyes widen at my response. "I would watch your mouth! For that, I want you to clean out my room tonight as well as your usual chores,"

I frown at the task. It's one that I avoid at all costs and my stepmother knows it. Therefore, it's a common punishment for the likes of me.

"You ought to be grateful I'm not taking away your university savings." She walks out of the front door shouting, "I'll be back around eleven! Everything better be done and dusted!"

The door slams shut and I walk into the kitchen. There, I hum an unknown tune to myself as I try to forget the past few moments of my life. I take my time arranging a slice of cappuccino cake and a filter coffee on a tray.

I hear the familiar sound of a notification on my phone. I glance at my phone on the counter to see it is from my online friend. She calls herself 'Zel' and we have been talking online for almost a year. I would ask her to meet me in real life but you never know who you are talking to online. I could be talking to a fifty-year-old man that lives in Canada for all I know. Although she does appear to struggle in her life at seventeen years-old just as I do at eighteen. She seems to be the only one that really understands me. I read the message whilst smiling to myself.

Zel: How are you?

I check to see if my stepsisters are occupied, peeping through the crack in the door, before I send her a response.

Me: Same old. My stepsisters have spoilt my evening as usual.

"Erika! Where's that cappuccino cake and coffee?!" Celine shouts. I place my phone on the counter having pressed 'Send' and I quickly rush to pick up the tray.

"It's coming!" I open the door, walking backwards into it, with both of my hands on the tray. I walk over and set the tray on the table. I leave them, noticing a middle aged man that appears to be lost in the middle of the diner. "Excuse me? Can I help you?"

He turns, almost in surprise to see me. "Yes, actually." He holds a large pile of posters in his left hand. Taking one from the top of the pile, he hands it to me. "Will you put this in the window for me, darling?"

Darling. That's a word I haven't heard in a long while. "Of course; no problem," I take the poster from him. "Can I get you anything?"

"No, I must dash dear. I've got quite a few errands to run." He holds up the posters in his hand and flashes a kind smile. "Thank you." He leaves within a few moments of arriving.

I go to the kitchen and search frantically in the cupboard for some form of tape. I find some after a moment. I scan only the large text on the poster, not really absorbing the information, as I walk to the window with the tape:

Never Ever After

Based on the novel by OnceUponATimexox

AUDITION NOW!

I tape it to the window so it's clearly visible to passers-by. I return to my post behind the counter, awaiting customers. One hour until we'd close and the chores begin.

Author's Notes

Hi everyone! Me and my best friend AnnaKaty decided upon writing a collaboration together. If you are unfamiliar with my earlier works by all means feel free to browse them as you wish. If you are familiar with my work you will know I am a massive fan of Theo James and I am once again writing a fanfiction about him here with my friend AnnaKaty and it will also feature another key celebrity; Luke Hemmings. In the next chapter you will be excited to hear we will be introducing another character to the novel! Me and Anna will be alternating chapters and will be frequently updating. I made the trailer that is linked into this chapter. If anyone would like to have a trailer or book cover made, feel free to message me! Please comment, vote, follow and share! Thank you my lovlies and enjoy!

Once Upon A Time xox