Nine

Chapter Nine:

My fingers brushed against the cold, white keys of the piano that I had kept in the guest room of my house. I had been playing for a while now, but this particular song had meant so much to me. The beauty of how it was played and the meaning of its lyrics had held a strong meaning within my heart. I had been singing the lyrics as I played, and Tanner came in a few times to check on me. It has been a week since I came back, and my mother had only been home three times during that week. I have been consumed by my music, and by the schoolwork that had piled up over the week that I had been gone.

I ran back up to my room, after a while. The guest room in my house was downstairs, like my mom's room, while Tanner's room and my own were up. I heard a tap on my window, and I slid it open without looking, because I knew it was Carter. "Get dressed, we're going somewhere." He said, smiling. "Wear something nice." He told me, and he slid my window closed before walking away. I did as he said.

I picked out a light pink dress from my closet. It reached just above my knees, and it was a one-shouldered dress. I did not like pink very much, but I loved this dress. My blonde hair flowed over my shoulder waves, and I brushed it out, and did simple makeup. I walked downstairs afterward. Neither Tanner, nor my mother were home, once again. I smiled as I reached Carter, who was waiting outside his house with his car. "You look cute." He said. He kissed my forehead, and I felt tingles where his lips touched my skin. 

"You don't look too bad, yourself." I said. He was wearing a black t-shirt, and a pair of blue jeans with some converse. It was not too formal, and neither was my dress, but he still made it look good. He wasn't wearing his beanie, but his glasses were still present, and his camera was still hanging off the strap around his neck. "Do you ever go anywhere without that?" I asked him curiously. He smiled. 

"Nope." He said, and he snapped a picture of me. I crinkled my nose, because I did not like having my picture taken. He laughed and opened my door, before going to his side. I smiled at his gesture, and buckled myself into the seat, and he did the same.

We had been driving for about twenty minutes, before he pulled over on the edge of a cliff. The sun was setting. He opened my door, and we walked over toward the cliff. It was beautiful. There were no words that would describe the amount of beauty it held. "You should see it at night, the stars are amazing." He told me. His voice was soft and calming. It was quiet out here, but I liked that. I loved the quiet. It reminded me of the nights I would spend with my dad, looking up at the stars, and talking about the things we found interesting in life. I started tearing up at the memory, but I held it back. Carter planned this for us, and it was amazing.

He laid out a blanket for us to sit on in the grass. We sat down, and stared out at the sunset for a while. He intertwined his fingers with mine, and I was nervous. I had not exactly known why I was so nervous, or why he had this effect on me, but I knew that I did not want it to go away. 

"How did you even find this place?" I asked him softly. My voice was filled with awe.

"I, um, I was going through a lot when I found it. I just found it while I was driving, and I stayed here for hours." He said, his voice shaking. I looked up and him, and his eyes were brimmed with tears. 

"You can talk to me anytime you need it." I said, hugging him. He smiled slightly. 

"I know." He whispered in my ear, as he played with my hair as I hugged him. We sat there for a while. Me looking at the stars, him playing with my hair, until he stopped. I was about to turn around, and then he said, "If we're going to make it in time for my dad to finish dinner, we should go." I smiled at him, as he helped me up from the ground. He collected the blanket he set out, and walked me over to the car. It was about seven, now, and we will be driving for another twenty minute. I was nervous to meet his dad, though he had reassured me that I would be fine. 

"I can't help it." I said.

"Relax, you'll be fine, Lil." He said, putting his right hand over both of mine in attempt to help calm me down. It worked to some extent. 

"I'm sorry." I said.

"For what?" He asked.

"For being so nervous. For being like this about meeting your dad and-" He cut me off.

"You should never have to apologize for being you." He said. His voice was calm.

"Thank you, Carter." I said. He stopped the car in his driveway. 

"You ready?" he asked me.

"Yeah."

Hello everyone! Three updates today, woo! Anyway, tell me what you think! 

Did you like it? 

Did you hate it? Tell me! Also, don't forget to:

Vote

Comment

Follow 

and share to all of your fandom friends!

~K.D