Chapter 3: Tick-Tock

Neal had asked Peter whether they should make Teresa aware of their suspicions, and Peter advised against it. At this stage, they didn't want to do anything to alert Sheffield, and they had no way of knowing how Teresa would react. If Sheffield called her to discuss a painting, she needed to sound completely sincere.

With surveillance of the suspect proceeding smoothly, Neal was able to keep his Thursday schedule at Columbia. He reported to Myra that Teresa would apply for a subsidized apartment, but didn't mention anything about her work for Sheffield. He hoped Myra wouldn't have to hear about the tangled mess her former student had fallen into.

Although the agents didn't have a warrant for wiretaps, Mozzie had no such restrictions. He'd embraced Teresa as a fellow alum and taken it upon himself to aid her cause by hacking into Sheffield's phone system. Neal suspected an assist from Aidan on the technical aspects but was too grateful to ask for details.

When Mozzie intercepted a call to Raymond's home number, Neal was uncertain about how Peter would react. Unexpectedly, instead of a lecture, all Neal got was a little joshing. Peter even volunteered to meet with the Mafia boss without having to be coaxed into it.

Lately it had grown increasingly apparent that Peter was much more easygoing than normal. Neal attributed the change to his boss no longer being saddled with the Steinar Wolff alias. In this instance, Special Agent Peter Burke would pay an official friendly visit to Pasolini, accompanied by his trusted consultant.

Normally, Peter wouldn't consider cooperating with someone like the Mafia kingpin, but this time his quarry was a shark. The Pasolini family engaged in illegal activities but reportedly they didn't condone violence except under extreme circumstances. This was a time when the enemy of my enemy dictum readily applied.

Promptly at ten o'clock on Friday morning, Neal and Peter walked up the steps to the entrance of Raymond's mansion on Staten Island. It was located on Todt Hill. The heavily wooded neighborhood was one of the most exclusive residential areas of the island. Paul Castellano of the Gambino crime family used to own a mansion nearby. Raymond's taste apparently ran to the eclectic. The house was a fusion of Italian Renaissance with other styles. The facade was finished in warm peach stucco reminiscent of Tuscany. The windows had a decided art deco appearance as did the massive entrance.

"No wandering off," Peter cautioned as they neared the door. "If Pasolini doesn't volunteer to show us the painting, we can't insist."

"No harm in my eyes taking a stroll, I assume?" Neal asked nonchalantly.

Peter smiled tolerantly. "They may bump into mine doing the same thing."

When Peter rang the doorbell, a middle-aged woman in a starched uniform led them into an airy salon with marble floors and Italian contemporary furniture in muted shades of pewter and terracotta.

Raymond was dressed casually in a rumpled white shirt and baggy trousers. His face looked older than his forty-three years. Worry lines appeared to be permanently etched onto his forehead—a good reminder for Peter to relax more.

Raymond only took a fleeting glance at their badges. Neal knew Peter wished he'd linger. There was no question Peter was glowing from not having to wear the Steinar Wolff disguise.

"What's this about a fraud?" Raymond demanded.

"We're on the trail of a trafficker in art forgeries," Peter said. "The suspect has access to an excellent forger and has been passing off the works as genuine. The victims believe they're buying masterpieces with the transactions often costing millions of dollars. Your name appeared on a list of potential clients."

"And you want to know if I purchased anything recently?" Raymond said bluntly, his worry lines increasing. He was beginning to resemble a bloodhound. Raymond turned to Neal. "Why did you come along?"