Chapter 4: Unexpected Turbulence

Federal Building. Monday, April 24, 2006.

When Peter got the text message early on Monday morning, Neal had yet to show up at work. At seven-thirty, he was likely still on the subway. Peter texted him to come straight to his office upon his arrival.

Peter had originally planned to brief Hughes about Sheffield but that could wait. His first appointment was with the new head of art crimes, Laura Jemison. It was scheduled for ten o'clock, providing plenty of time for the requested meeting.

"Which one threw the curveball, Sheffield or Pasolini?" Neal asked when he appeared at Peter's door.

"Neither. Annina Brandel wants to speak with us."

Neal's eyes widened. "The federal marshal? Do you know what it's about?"

"She said she'd rather explain in person." Peter glanced at his watch. "She'll be here in a few minutes."

"I doubt the subject's Mom," Neal said. "Noelle said she'd already received the shipment of personal effects."

Peter agreed. Annina was the point of contact for the WITSEC program currently responsible for the protection of Ellen Parker and Neal's father James Bennett. Annina was a dedicated professional who'd kept an open mind about Neal when he started with the Bureau. They'd met with her in Baltimore shortly before Meredith's funeral. If Annina had a question about Meredith, she would have contacted Neal directly. Since she made the request through Peter, he assumed it would be regarding either Ellen or James.

"Did Noelle have much to go through?" Peter asked.

"No, I gather when Mom decided to cut all ties with the family last year, she gave away or discarded practically all the personal mementos she'd collected over the years. Noelle said she received a small box of jewelry from the marshals. She's bringing it with her on her next trip. There aren't any antique family pieces. Noelle thought I might like to have them."

"Have you heard anything from Ellen?"

Neal nodded. "I got a letter of condolences. It was waiting for me when I returned home from the funeral. Her husband Mike had probably sent it. Ellen said she and Mike are doing well and very happy. She reminded me to avoid contacting them."

When Annina arrived, she got straight to the point. "I heard from my contact in Florida that James has slipped away from WITSEC. A local marshal had informed him of Meredith's death. Our best estimate is that James took off a week afterward. Neal, I'm concerned that his flight puts both you and him at additional risk."

Neal frowned. "It's been twenty-four years since Mom and I entered the program. I question whether WITSEC is still necessary, but if Ellen wants to remain in the program, fine. As for James ... If he wants to reach out to me, frankly I'd welcome it. I'd like to finally get to know my father."

Peter sympathized with Neal's attitude. He'd never mentioned a desire to meet James but how could he not want to, especially since he'd just lost his mother?

She took a breath. "I expected that would be your attitude. I admit that at first, I had the same doubts. But I worked with local agents on a reassessment of the car accident your mother had. Although the police say there's no evidence of foul play, it can't be entirely ruled out."

"When was the last time James's location was known?" Peter asked, his gut lurching at the thought Neal's mom could have been murdered.

"The local marshal in charge of his case went to see him on April 8, the day after the car accident. That's the last time he was seen. A week later, the marshal attempted to make a follow-up visit. That's when he discovered James had vanished."