Chapter 4

(The picture is Tiffany)

We sat like that for a while before he shifts my head to his lap. I must have flinched because he quickly said, "Is that okay? It's just more comfortable and now I can see your face."

"It's fine, just sudden." I nestle into his lap and shiver, it's getting dark and cold.

"Are you cold? Here I always wear two sweatshirts." he leans slightly forward and removes the thick black hoodie he was wearing, revealing a tighter red sweater. He then leaned back against the tree and covered me with the hoodie, I was instantly warm.

"Don't you get hot during the day?"

"Sometimes, but I normally spend my days inside with friends."

"So I guess we won't see a lot of each other."

"You're my only friend so far."

"Just wait until school starts, you'll have friends and admirers and possibly a girlfriend."

"And that'll be you."

"You're selling yourself short, you could have way better."

"But I want you."

I smile and stare into his blue eyes, shadowed by the darkness. I hear footsteps.

"Marie? Dad needs to talk to you!" Tiffany reaches the top of the hill "Oh, hi, you must be the neighbor." She giggles nervously, I stand up handing him the hoodie

"Thanks"

"Daybreak?"

"Daybreak." I walk to my older sister, she's 16 and soon getting a car. "What does need?"

"Didn't say. I could've told him you were busy."

"But I wasn't."

"You don't call that busy?" She asks dumbfounded and holding the door open.

"No, I don't."