Chapter 2

Mara

It wasn't my fault, she provoked me, I thought as I splashed my face with cold water in the third floor bathroom.

I hadn't ever punched anybody just after they spoke, like, two words about me. Maybe it was my mom leaving us last summer, or all the beatings I know received from my dad. I dunno. All I know is that bitch is gonna have a pretty fucked up face now.

Bianca Crowell

My face is ruined! That stupid fat girl messed up my nose and now I have to get surgery! She WILL pay for this.

Kennedy

I had almost forgotten that it was the first day, and that we actually had to go to class. My first few classes went smoothly. In calculus, my second period, I saw Amy and Brie, Bianca's best friends, whispering to each other. They came over to me and thanked me for helping her, and how I was like a goddess that I was so smart to put pressure on it and how I totally saved Bianca's life. I thanked them and sat down at my assigned desk. After calculus, in third period, ELA, I saw some of my old friends, Bailey and Charley. We hugged and talked about our summers until the bell rang for class to start. During the fourth period, lunch, there was no one I really recognized, so I sat on a bench and ate my sandwich quickly. I strolled to the library to explore the books and gasped when I saw what was inside. There were thousands of books all around me. I was staring at the romance section when a tall woman with short bright blue hair walked over to me. "Welcome to the library! Do you like what you see?" she asked as she wiggled her eyebrows, smiling. "Wow." I couldn't describe it. The library was magical. "My name is Ms. Platen. If you need anything, please just ask. Also, just know we have 3D printers in the back, and a garden out through that door." She walked away and sat down on a chair behind the desk, pulling a book off the desk and immediately losing herself in it. Kennedy continued to explore the library, and immediately found her favorite spot, the garden. She had never really liked plants that much, but here the garden seemed enchanted. "Like them, do you?" a voice said behind her. Startled she jumped, and turned around to see a boy with short cut silver hair and a nose piercing. "Sorry if I scared you. I work here during lunch, repotting plants, and doing other gardener duties. I'm Volar by the way, my pronouns are they/them. How about you?" Volar smiled. "Uh, I'm Kennedy." she told Volar. "What are your pronouns, sweetheart?" Volar asked politely. "Uh, pronouns?" she asked, wondering what that was. "She/her, he/him, they/them, stuff like that," Volar shrugged. "Oh, uh, just she/her." she told them. "So...you're not a boy?" she asked suspiciously. "Nope." Volar laughed. "I'm non-binary. I don't like to classify myself as any gender," they told Kennedy. "Oh, ok. I've...never heard of anything like that," she said. "Makes sense, seeing as you live in the south," they mused. "And you don't?" she asked. "I do, NOW, but I didn't last year. I'm a junior. I'm guessing you're a freshman based on your size," they chuckled. "Is Volar your real name?" she asked. "Well, yeah, but my birth name was Joshua," they shuddered. "I think Volar fits you better," Kennedy laughed. "I do too," they smiled. "So Kennedy, she/her, are you going to visit me often now?" they asked. "Yeah, I think I will," she smiled, as the bell rang. "Okay, now get off to class. I don't want my ass to be in trouble because I kept you!" they called after her. "Okay, okay," she laughed.

A few minutes later

In fifth period science, I noticed that the person who was supposed to be sitting next to me was absent. Mr. Pisani, the science teacher, called names, and the only person missing was the girl who was supposed to sit next to me. Her name was Mara Brown. While Mr. Pisani was handing out work, someone burst into the room. "Sorry I'm late!" she panted, and rushed towards me. Mara Brown. Oh, shit. I recognized her. She's the girl who punched Bianca.