Chapter 6 - Aftermath

When I came to, I was in the nurse's office. 

"Urgh, what happened?" I asked no one in particular.

"Oh, you're awake!" Karuizawa answered. 

She was sitting to the left of me, and I hadn't yet noticed her.

"Hey, Karuizawa," I greeted her casually, "What happened? Are Sudou and Ike still here?"

"They're fine. You got there just in time," she responded, "You know, I really admire you for doing all that for them."

"It was nothing. Did the nurse tell you if my injuries are serious?" 

"Yeah, you were unconscious for a couple of hours. She said you won't be able to play soccer for a while. But your legs aren't broken. What happened?"

"When I was in a hurry to get to the classroom, I jumped down the staircase to the student council room." 

"THAT staircase? That's gotta be about a 5-meter jump down, and while running? How were you able to keep running!?" 

"Shock, I guess. I'm lucky I didn't break my legs, though."

"Oh, you're awake," the nurse said as she walked in. "Three boys are here to see you."

"That's fine, send them in," I responded.

Sudou, Ike, and Yamauchi entered the room and proceeded to immediately prostrate themselves. 

"Thank you!" they all said, tears in their eyes.

I hadn't thought that they would have expressed their gratitude for me so extremely, but I guess they truly were thankful to have not been expelled. 

"You don't need to thank me," I replied, "I'm just doing my job as the class representative."

Sudou objected, "That's not true. You saved us. We would have been expelled otherwise but you did everything you could to save us. We won't let ourselves get such low scores again." 

"Thank you. As long as you can help out the class, I'm happy." 

"Alright, well I'll have to ask everyone to leave the room so I can speak with Hirata privately," said the nurse. 

Once everyone exited the room, she began to speak.

"Do you understand how ridiculous it is that your legs aren't broken?"

She continued lecturing me and telling me to avoid physical activity (including soccer.) Apparently, my legs had taken quite a hit for me to be able to keep running. She had never seen anything like it.  Luckily for me, I was in excellent shape since I had always enjoyed playing sports as a hobby, and had been a star member of the soccer team in middle school.

Also luckily for me, I would be able to return to class tomorrow. 

Once she finished, Chabashira-sensei came by to talk to me.

Without even greeting me, she began to ask questions. "Where did you get these points? I suggest you tell me the truth, because the school can trace the origin of the points if the need arises."

As she asked me that, I realized I hadn't even gotten the name of the student who loaned me these points. I had been in a hurry, of course, so I had never bothered to ask.

I replied as honestly as I could. "From a student council member with blond hair. A second-year, I think."

"Could it be... Nagumo?"

"Nagumo?"

"Yes, it must have been. W hat did he ask you for in exchange for these points?"

"I'm not really sure what it meant, but apparently our class must help him out on a "special exam" of some kind."