Flashback 7

Her,
lifeless on his drawing room floor.

Her,
drenched in a pool of her own blood.

Her,
broken and bleeding out in his arms.

He could not get the images out of his head.

Every night, Draco woke up gasping for air, drenched in a layer of cold sweat, his shirt clinging uncomfortably to his damp skin, and with his heart hammering wildly inside his chest.

The nightmares never ceased.

Every time he woke, he wanted to scream, puke, —break something. All of a sudden he was filled with all of these emotions that he was not used to feeling, having occluded them out of his mind for so long. Emotions so strong and overpowering, he could not shut them out —no matter how much he tried.

Eventually, he gave up sleep entirely. Seeing as he couldn't get a moment's rest either way, he decided to do something more valuable with his time. And so he began to stay up at night, using the time to do all of Voldemort's little dirty work. His effectiveness did not go unnoticed by the Dark Lord, and he was heavily praised, climbing even higher in his master's eyes.

Jealousy and suspicion began to rise amongst the other Death Eaters, making them question how he finished his tasks so soon, causing them to despise him for being their master's quickly rising favourite. He often heard them talk cowardly about him behind his back, but never put much thought into it.

He was always more concerned with the girl he kept hidden upstairs.