Epilogue

"Are you going to move from your spot any time soon?" Anders asked teasingly, laughing softly when I purred and shook my head. Laying in the direct sun in this tropical climate was nearly unbearable, yet with Anders' cooler skin pressed against mine...

Bliss.

Instead of separating, I nuzzled closer, purr only intensifying when fingers found their way to my spine, slowly petting over my skin.

It was a slight, teasing caress, one that soothed and at the same time tantalized my senses in ways I hadn't expected. He merely chuckled, shaking his head slightly.

"I told you to move in the shade if you can't stand the heat, darling." He chuckled as I stretched languidly, yawning before replying lazily.

"I don't mind the heat, I just don't want to get a heat stroke." I muttered, remembering a few weeks ago. Anders had been taking a swim and while I didn't mind swimming from time to time, feline instincts were hard to ignore.

I had fallen asleep under the shade but naturally, the shade moved according to the position of the sun. So when Anders had found me later on, I had been overheated and unconscious.

Ever since, Anders was always keeping a keen eye on me whenever I went out in the sun. Insisting that I used sunscreen or at the very least stayed close to him.

Anders hummed, pressing a kiss on my forehead before he pushed us up, much to my chagrin. "You do realize that even if you can avoid a heatstroke, you can still get burned by the sun, right?"

A mewl of protest was easily stopped when his lips pressed against mine. "Besides," he breathed against my lips, making me become aware I had closed my eyes, "We need to get ready or we'll be late."

I huffed at that, pushing off from his lap before stretching. "How can we be late when you can teleport us there?" I countered before pausing as Anders merely let his finger trace over my bared stomach before I gulped.

"If you keep distracting me like that, I will show you exactly how we'll be late." He murmured, voice a tad deeper in a tone I knew all too well.

And I knew my sister would kill me if I wasn't present on her wedding. She had made me man of honor for a reason and while marriages weren't common in the shifter community, they were seen as important events to commemorate the mating.

As it was, I was glad that Dana decided to celebrate her mating with Garret. She deserved to be the center of attention for once.

After a lifetime of being ignored by our neglectful parents, only being used as a prop to show how cute she was and how good parents they must be, Dana should have a life where she was loved, cherished and given anything she needed.

I had tried my best in the past. When she went to school and begged for a sleepover, I had bent to her whims. Even knowing that I'd have to work a double shift in order to get all the necessary snacks and trinkets, I had agreed and reassured Dana that it wasn't a problem.

Because I didn't want her to relive through my childhood. A childhood where I was ignored unless I was top of the class so our parents could brag against the world how smart their son was.

It wasn't about my achievements, it was about the achievements of their son. Their flesh and blood that excelled because of their genes and not my own hard work.

I still remember the first time I had came back with my first B+ grades. I had been elated, had shown off the little slip of paper proudly because I was top of my class.

Finally I did it. I managed to get the grades my parents wanted, had always demanded from me.

And they had been proud. For five seconds, until they found out that their coworker's daughter had an A- . It didn't matter that she was three years older than me at the time, nor that she was so intelligent that she had been allowed to skip a class.