Chapter Four

I was unable to go to my regular dance classes for two days. Not too bad. Instead, I studied for school since I couldn't attend that either. I mostly studied English. English was my favourite subject and I loved writing stories and quotes. I had my nose in a book when I heard my name being hollered up the stairs. "Nia, it's time for lunch!" I glance at the digital clock that is placed on my bedside locker. It reads 12:00PM. Whoa, that hour went quick! I gently close my book shut and wheel myself out to the hall where my father is waiting to help me down the stairs. After gobbling up a healthy fruit salad and a ham sandwich, I begin to lurk around the bottom floor of the house in my wheelchair, bored out of my brains. I wish I could walk. I wish I could dance.
-
The two days passed and I was overjoyed to be back on my feet. I was instructed by the nurse to not do any tricks or turns. I agreed without hesitation. As I slowly slip through the glass doors of the Abby Lee Dance Company, I begin hearing chatter coming from behind the desk. I waddle in and glance over to the desk only to see Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee; the Evil Edition. Maddie and Kendall share Miss Abby's large chair on wheels and seem to be taking turns using the laptop. I could here my name being thrown into their conversation. "Nia was rushed to the hospital after that." Of course they didn't notice me by passing. I continue on to the den where I find my teammates anxiously awaiting. We had all been texting since my accident and they all knew today was the day I would be returning. As I appear in the doorway, I am bombarded with hugs. "Nia, you're back!" Mackenzie squeals. I make my way over to the bench and throw my bag onto it. I peel off my t-shirt and leggings, revealing my Abby Lee Dance Company apparel. Abby calls me in to rehearse my solo for nationals first so I do as I am told and go into Studio A. My solo is a contemporary piece called "One Star". It is about me being homeless, but then I see one star and I feel better. As I leap and roll, my ankle cracks and burns like fire, hidden beneath my skin. "Nia, I can tell your foot is paining you. Go to the den and take a rest," Abby instructed. I nod in agreement. Maddie is seated on the den's bench, fiddling her thumbs upon a golden iPhone 5C. She jerks her head up when I enter the sticky hot room. Maddie begins giggling to herself, each two seconds louder than before. "What are you laughing at?" "You, silly!" Maddie chuckles. The nasty brunette leaps up and skips out of the den, still laughing. What was that all about? I'm beginning to get very hurt by Kendall and her friend. How would they feel if somebody was constantly making a joke of them? I whip out my water bottle and as I sip, all of their victories and achievements flood my mind. Maddie has been in two Sia music videos. Maddie is a national title winner. Maddie has a new single. Maddie has performed at the Grammys. Kendall also has a new single. Kendall has a mansion house. Kendall has a new music vid-. I cut myself off there. I may not be as popular or famous as them. That's it.
Abby summons me back inside to go over my dance that I am supposed to win a crown for, but I don't think I can. The complicated and advanced jumps and turns ache my ankle, even if I am supposed to take it easy on them. I return home with a swollen ankle that evening. Wonderful.