ONE

-Scarecrow's POV-
"It's very unfortunate that Dorothy and Scarecrow couldn't join us today at the 2 year anniversary since Evillene's death." Tin Man spoke into the giant microphone. "We miss them very dearly." There were bright blue lights shining behind him, making him look even sadder than he already was.

"If you're watching this, please give us a call. Friends never stop caring about friends." Fleetwood (Lion) added and wrung his hands. I sighed and turned the television off.

"Well if that's true, how come Dorothy hasn't come back to visit? How come she hasn't sent in any letters or called?" I mumbled to myself and sat on my bed. "Well she never said she'd come back. Why should I care?" My eyes began to water and I clenched my fists because I should've known that I'd cry again. After she helped me off that pole and helped me learn that I'm more intelligent than I thought, I assumed we'd continue to be friends. Just like a flame, she was gone. 

"I'll never forget you." Dorothy's voice echoed in my mind. Nobody heard her say it, but when she whispered that to me I knew I was special to her. Or so I thought. "I'll never forget you. I'll never forget you. I'll forget you. I'll forget..."

"STOP IT!" I screamed and grabbed my head. "YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T FORGET BUT WHERE ARE YOU? YOU LIED TO ME! YOU USED ME DOROTHY!" There was immense pain in my head and all I could do was fall on the floor and cry. "Another. Migraine. Maybe I should call them. I can't keep existing in this hellscape." An hour had passed and it still hadn't gone away. At that point, I just forced my body to shut down. The sound of the telephone woke me. "Who could that be? Hello?" I answered.

"Scarecrow? Is that you, old pal?" Tin Man asked, his voice was riddled with worry.

"It's Michael. I keep telling y'all my name isn't Scarecrow anymore." I corrected. I have more life in me than a regular scarecrow so I deserved a name. A real name. Besides, that's what she called me. I can't seem live that down considering nobody remembers my name.

"My apologies, my dear friend. You missed the celebration in Emerald City. Lion and I were hoping you'd show. Did you forget? I can't imagine you would."

"No, I didn't. How could I?" I snapped. "Sorry... Have you heard from Dorothy?" My ears perked up in hopes she had maybe talked to at least one of us. Maybe she asked about me?

"No, still nothing." My face fell, but not as hard as my heart did. "I truly believe she's just living a grand life back at home. Don't worry, things'll slow down and she'll be back to visit!" 

" Yeah right! It's been two years already!" I huffed under my breath.

"You're just the product of negative thinking." Dorothy rang in my ears.

"Hello? Michael? You there?" His annoying voice distracted me from my thoughts.

"Uh yeah... I'm just tired and my migraine is coming back. I need to go to bed."

"Oh. Ok. Can you please try to call Lion? He's worried about you."

"Yeah. Sure. Goodnight." I hung up the phone and flopped onto the bed. "You know what? I was better off with those dumb crows than here. I mean I'm in a city with people and I don't feel welcome. Besides I could be away from the Yellow Brick Road. That's it! I'll go back and tell the fellas I'm sorry! Then they'll have to accept me! Tomorrow I'll get a cab then I'll be back home."