Chapter 1

“C’mon- why are you doing this? What ch’a scared of?”

“I’m not scared of anything and I don’t have to explain my decisions to you.”

“You do if they involve me.”

“They only involve you on the periphery.”

“My, my, are we practicing our big words today?”

“You know what? You can just fuck off and forget it.”

Silence.

I’m biting my lip so hard I can taste blood. At the same time, I know she is probably chewing on her nails. Such a silly habit.

Two stubborn mules pulling against each other, their struggle only tightening the invisible knot binding them.  Where the hell was Alexander the Great and his sword?  Then again, maybe this was one Gordian Knot that could not be severed with brute force. God knows we had tried.

I should never have called her in the first place. All she ever does is raise my blood pressure to inhuman levels.

Like you don’t like that. You thrive off the adrenaline.

Maybe, but I don’t thrive on having my pounding head keep me awake another night. Not now, not when everything was careening toward the abyss at neck breaking speed.  God, if only I didn’t have to deal with all this now.

Sure, it was my own stupid fault. I shouldn’t have invited her. But it would be nice to see the kids. Heck, kids…they weren’t kids anymore, they were young adults now. Of course she would bring the twins as well.  She wouldn’t just leave them behind with him.

Her husband. The father of her babies.

And why did that thought still hurt more than being pierced by needles?

“You still there?”

There you go. I knew she’d break first.

“I’m waiting for you to hang up.”

“Well, why don’t you hang up first?”

“Lady’s first.”

Suddenly, her honey coated laughter filled the crackly airspace. Sweet, dark, tempting…

No, I’m just gonna ignore the fact that suddenly, the bubbling amusement is threatening to jettison out of my heart as well . Contagious. Addictive. How does she do it?

This was serious. She could not just go ahead and spoil my plans. Not that I had plans, but if I did they for sure would not involve him.

“I really don’t know what’s so funny, Lisa.”

“I’m sorry, you’re right. Nothing.”

She sounded like a kid trying hard to stay serious in church. Or class. The effort made her voice break and intersperse the usually husky hue with higher pitched facets.  It brought to mind her eyes: sparkling like a shady lake when attacked by dancing drops of sunlight skipping across the surface.