7: Wishes in the sky

Childe stifled a sob as tears fell down his cheeks. He was standing in the middle of the hallway to his apartment, clutching the cell phone in his hand as he dug his nails into the palm of his left, unaware of the blood that was starting to gush out.

Why did it all end like this?

He had a lump in his throat, tears were blocking his view and he felt like he was going to explode at any moment. He wanted to scream, but not a single noise came from his throat:  just listening to the harsh words his father was saying to him on the phone.

"You are not going to see your brothers again, you are not going to return to this house," he felt his cold gaze resting on him, as if they were face to face. The words dug into him like daggers. “You heard me!? You are selfish, Ajax! Aren't you aware of the damage you can do!? What do I say, the damage you did years ago, now you were only redeeming yourself from your mistakes! Say something, or are you going to stay whimpering like a useless child?!”

“Shut up!!” His lungs emptied of air, he began to breathe desperately for oxygen, his head spinning. “I have not kept the money, there was a mistake but you never listen to me!!”

“Liar!!” He wanted to hang up the call, he wanted to throw the phone on the ground and watch it smash into small pieces. He wanted the earth to swallow him up and disappear from this world. “You always lie, you are the same scum as always! Because of you our family is divided, I wonder what your mother would say!”

"Don't get mom into this!!" She wasn't dead, but she was hospitalized with a serious illness. “Do not even think about it!”

“Oh clear that if. Because you know what? It's all your fault, and if she dies, it will be too,” Childe felt as if time stopped around him. He went blank, the tears stopped falling, he did not listen to the harsh words that the man he called ‘father’ kept saying to him. He just felt his blood boil.

"Die, you stupid old man," the words came out of his mouth automatically, without thinking. With that he had signed his sentence; he could never see his dear brothers or his mother again.

Childe hung up the call before the man could answer, raising his arm to knock the phone to the ground. The more forces left him, everything he had been repressing exploded, time ran again. He began to sob as the tears streamed down his face without pause, he dropped to the ground, hugging himself. What did it matter if the neighbors listened to him? They probably would have heard his screams by now, and it wasn't like he cared about their opinions. Without stopping crying, he turned on his cell phone, opening the bank's application and transferring all the salary from last month to the account of his stupid father. There had been a mistake in the previous transfer, and his family had received less money than they owed. Obviously his father was aware of that, but all he needed was an excuse.

He threw the mobile to the ground, which it bounced off the carpet, as he hunched over himself, crying. Childe forced himself to stop crying, letting out the occasional sob. He didn’t want to waste time crying over a discussion with that brainless man.

He got up off the floor and entered the kitchen, yanking open the refrigerator door and staring at the beer cans he hadn't touched since he bought them three weeks ago.

Was he going to throw away all his efforts to be clean? Yes, but at the time he was not thinking clearly.

Childe reached for a can and sat on the floor, his eyes stung with tears. He opened the beer and began drinking haphazardly, some of the liquid trickling down his chin. He wanted to get drunk, to forget what had happened even for only a few hours.

Not to see his brothers again?

"Cunt..." He squeezed the empty can with his good hand, tossing it aside and littering the floor with what little was left inside. He took another beer and opened it.