Chapter 2: Keep Your Eyes Open

The next morning, Naut still felt very tired despite the fact that he had a good night's sleep. He said 'good morning' to Nurp (as in he said 'good morning' to the back of his head basically), but there was no answer. He wasn't really bothered by this and thought Nurp was still asleep, so he decided to go for a walk (or go for a float in his case) to see if there's any more things to do for the Mix Festival coming up in a few days.

"Hey Rokit." Greeted Naut.

"O-oh, hey Naut... eheheh." Rokit nervously replied.

"Something wrong?" Asked Naut.

"No, uh- nothing! I'm just doing fine!" Lied Rokit.

"If you say so... I guess." Replied Naut.

Rokit decided to add some more gold streamers onto the banner, leaving Niksput behind, feeling like there's something up with Rokit.

"Rokit, what was that?" Asked Niksput.

"Just nothing much. Why'd you ask?" Replied Rokit.

"You sounded kinda nervous when Naut talked to you, bro. What happened between you and him?" Asked Niksput.

Rokit thought about lying to Niksput, but he decided to tell him the truth.

"W-well... when I was gonna tell Nurp a bedtime story, I saw his face..." Said Rokit.

"Go on." Said Niksput.

"I saw that his face was black and that his mouth was pink on the inside and the outside while his eyes were all pink, he threatened to eat me, it freaked the living out of me, OH- it was HORRIBLE!" Shouted Rokit.

Naut overheard the conversation and came to Rokit out of curiosity.

"And what are you talking about?" Asked Naut.

"AH! Nothing that's concerning!" Shouted Rokit, frantically.

"Really? I overheard you yelling about somee weird monster, what was it?" Questioned Naut.

"Umm... a really bad nightmare?" Lied Rokit.

"Eh, happens to the best of ya." Shrugged Naut.

As Naut floated away, Rokit felt a sigh of relief, but Niksput was more concerned about the corrupted Nurp that Rokit was so worried about, which gave Niksput the idea to spy on Naut. Niksput told Rokit about his plan, and it was now in full effect. Rokit and Niksput were spying on Nurp-Naut for a while, trying not to get him to notice them, mostly because they felt something was wrong with him.

"You sure this is a good idea? He's not doing anything suspicious yet." Asked Rokit.

"I'm sure of it, there's clearly something fishy going on with him considering your description of Nurp. It must be super scary." Replied Niksput.

And so, they kept spying on Nurp-Naut, at least for one week and two days. After that, they finally decided that it was time to tell him the truth.

"Naut, we gotta talk, man-to-man." Said Niksput.

"Wait, why?" Asked Naut.

"Well, I'll tell you later when we get there." Reminded Niksput.

"Eh, cool." Shrugged Naut.

So the Orbitons went to Nurp-Naut's room to tell him that there was something wrong with him and no one knew what it was, not even Naut, but Niksput and Rokit knew it was something dangerous. Who knows, it could possibly be more dangerous than King Nixel, even.

"Look, don't scream like I did, but please stay calm after this, ok?" Said Rokit.

"Ok, sure." Said Naut.

Rokit gave Naut a lime mirror with gold and white accents, but Naut was a bit confused at the moment.

"Wait, a mirror? Is this some kind of gift or something like that?" Thought Naut.

"Uhh... thanks, I guess."

"Well, the mirror's actually to show... why Rokit's.... *Ahem* Afraid of you." Explained Niksput.

"Wait, he is?" Questioned Naut.

"Yeah Naut, he is." Agreed Niksput.

After that conversation, Naut then looked in the mirror. He thought he looked normal, until he positioned the mirror toward the back of his head and figured it out himself... He was getting corrupted, but not corrupted enough to control his entire body! Naut was sweating, and was very nervous of how Nurp somehow turned into a monster.

"W-what... happened?" Asked Naut.

"I'm n-not so sure myself, but I can tell it's bad. Really, REALLY bad." Said Rokit.

"Well, is it dangerous?" Asked Naut.

"Of course, it threatened to eat me and everything!"

"..What?"

"It was so horrible, I tell you!"

Naut began to worry, was the monster really that frightening? Is it too late to figure out what caused it to be so scary and dangerous?