Chapter 5 - Being Asked Out

So, just so everyone knows, in this chapter, we have a new character, Chris. He is someone I made up. We do not see him in the series. Maybe he's there, I've just never seen a Sky Deck worker named Chris in the show.

~ ~ ~

Zack was out of his mind. Could they really make Haley beautiful? Maybe beautiful was a strong word. Pretty? Passable?

He sighed as he sat on the side of his bed, about a half-hour after he took Haley to Bailey. He just wanted Haley to not be insulted as much as she was, and he knew that London knew enough about beauty to do something to improve Haley. Was he trying to hard?

Someone knocked on the door and Cody came in. "Hey, Zack. Mr. Moseby's looking for you."

"Of course he is," he grumbled.

"Well, you did spill a lot of smoothie onto that girl, and you ran off the Sky Deck without coming back to work."

Zack kept his eyes on his messy closet. "Whatever. I'm not going back up there, at least not today. If that girl's still there, I'll be temped to push her into the pool."

Cody came over and stood near Zack, his brows risen. "Wow. Usually, you want to hit on girls and ask them out. You never want to pour smoothie on them and push them into a pool. Haley being insulted must have really gotten to you."

Zack frowned at how hurt Haley looked after being insulted earlier. "I guess... I took her to Bailey and London so they could do something about her appearance. Maybe then, she wouldn't get insulted as much."

Cody eyed his brother for a moment. "You're really concerned about all this," he surmised, then gave Zack that sly look. "You like her."

Zack's heart jumped and he stared at his brother with wide eyes. "What? No! Gross!"

Cody wasn't convinced. "Oh, you so like her, Zack. Why would you run after her with a towel to dry her tears if you didn't?"

"How do you know that's what I did?"

"You just told me." Zack huffed, hating that he admitted that without knowing it. "C'mon, Zack. You became so concerned about her being insulted, that you started to pay attention to her more. And through that, you started to like her."

His brother was right, yet again. "No way. I'm just concerned."

"And where does that concern come from?"

Zack remained silent as he felt the back of his neck heat up. "She's... my friend."

"Yeah, a friend that you like."

He gave his brother a questioning look. "Why would I like someone who looks like Haley, huh? I mean, you've seen her plenty of times."

"Looks aren't everything, Zack. Haley's a nice girl. She's shy, smart, and she's from Boston. You know, people fall in love based on personality and who they are alone."

"How would you know that?"

"I read a statistic, and Bailey makes me watch rom-coms."

Zack huffed and shook his head. "I don't need to hear this. Look, I'm just trying to do Haley a favor, alright?"

Cody put up his hands in defeat. "Fine, fine, but I still think you like her, zits and personality and all. Now, we should get up to the Sky Deck before Mr. Moseby fires us both. He sent me to find you and I need to come back with you."

"Let's stay here, then."

Cody gave him a stern look. "Zack."

"Fine," groaned.