Chapter 9 - Truth Revealed

Haley didn't want to admit it, but she was a bit skeptical. Something was off about Chris and his "cousin." No guy would just hang out with a cousin that was that pretty... right? And what Zack said about what he heard the two say to each other... he wouldn't just make that up. He was impulsive, but he wouldn't make up things just to hurt her, especially after apologizing for calling her hideous.

That was another thing—he thought that her eyes were gorgeous! What about the rest of her?

She groaned as she walked with Bailey to school the next morning. "Hey, what's wrong?" Bailey asked.

"I'm so confused."

"About what?"

"About this whole situation with Chris. Would Chris really be lying to me about that girl he was with? Has Zack been right all this time?"

Bailey was silent for a moment. She looked as cute as ever with her straight hair down and herself in a long red and white plaid shirt dress, complete with black belt and black leggings. "Well, Cody told me all about what happened because he heard it from Zack, and... I don't know... it does seems kind of fishy to me."

Haley's eyes widened and she stared at her friend in disbelief. "Both you and Cody believe Zack?"

Her pretty eyes filled with sympathy. "I hate to say it, but we do. I mean, Zack is many things, and can be a horrible liar, but I don't think he's lying this time."

Hurt pricked her heart. "So, you think that Chris really is using me and is cheating on me?"

"I just think you should look more into this. We know that Zack's doing all he can to prove his story."

"And if it's all true, then Chris really thinks I'm gross and is using me to get his grades up, and he's dating that girl he said is his cousin," she whined sadly.

"Let's just figure this all out, okay?"

They came into the main Seven Seas High hallway and instantly saw Zack there with Cody and Woody, over by the twins' lockers. Farther down the hallway was Chris. Haley looked from Chris to Zack. Which guy did she trust?

"Hey, Bailey!" Cody called and Haley had no choice but to come up to the small group of guys. Bailey greeted Cody with a kiss on the cheek and Haley stood there awkwardly as Zack glanced at her, then looked away. The bell rang and the group went on to their first class.

"Haley!"

She turned, as did the group of her friends that she was with, and up came Chris. Haley couldn't help but notice Zack give him a mean look... and so did Cody and Bailey! They really did believe Zack! "Hi, Chris."

Chris noticed the others and their expressions. "So... can I talk to you for a second?"

She looked around at all her friends. "Sure."

"C'mon, guys," Bailey said and the group moved on and left Haley with Chris. Once they were all gone, and after Zack gave Chris another mean look, Chris started talking:

"So, about yesterday, I just wanted to say I'm sorry again. I should have told you about Courtney right off the bat just to not cause confusion."

She nodded as she felt uneasy, and she held her history book and binder to her chest. "It's okay. At least I know now, right?"

He came close to her and leaned in, and she smelled his nice cologne. "So, we're still good?"

She smiled. "Yeah."

"Great." He kissed her zit-ridden cheek. "See you later. I have to be somewhere after school, but I'll be up at the Sky Deck around four, okay?"

"Okay."