The Mysterious Room

What would you do

when an unknown stranger

lurks at you?

If the only way out

is to be like them

Would you dare, to lose everything?

It was a sunny morning here in Texas. We accompanied a maroon truck with a yellow sticker on the door where dad is sitting at, opened at the back with cubes of haystack for cushion. I was a kid, 8 to be exact. The drying grasses that fills the wide space of the horizon brushed the dry land of the farm. I haven't yet took a glimpse on the dusty mirror. I'm anxious. Dad's not even saying a word. His smile was an upside down curve. For over a two-hour trip from California to pops old bungalow here, we stopped on an old billboard that reads - "Feel the fresh air, Feel Texas". I went outside the truck, eager and delighted to see what dad has told me about this farmy place. I held my silver, heart-shaped necklace found on one of the hallway of our school inside the pocket of my jeans we bought from The Oleg's collection, a well-knowned women's wear designer that costs 20 dollars. I have no idea of whose lucky necklace is this. The only thing I know is that, this is mine already! Uncle Sam, who drove us all the way to Texas, put down our bags. I don't understand why that man always took time to glance at me. When I first saw him on our previous home, I thought he was the stranger from my story book - Silly Little Jessie. He has this grey beard man that looks like an evil witch; it's too weird for a gal like me. I'm not yet a grown-up to undestand all those crazy things. Even dad has this kind of hair. Maybe when I'm 18, I'll also have one. Nevertheless, after his conversation with dad about me, he'll be gone in no time. Who cares! Besides, I have Mr. Beanbag, my teddy, my only guardian. I didn't mind them. I slowly opened the wooden gates of the house and it cackled and creaked as it open widely. I rolled my pink barbie luggage as I walk. I don't know where to go. I just found myself sitting and waiting in an old gazzebo painted in white and gold. My view reached a glass window. It was foggy. Nothing there but only darkness that colors the room. I was curioused by what's inside of that abandoned room. Maybe a dozen toys, or boxes of chocolates and candies I wished I had for Christmas day. The only sound that I can hear was the lushing of the leaves of the green bushes, aside from the deafening silence. I went to check if pops is in there. I started walking til I reached the front porch of the bungalow. It was decorated with some orchids and pink zinnias. I moved the knob and opened the door. I peeked inside, but no one's around. Dad would not mind if I'll go for a tour. It'll not make him mad, for a while. I know dad loves me. He's the only person I can lean on after mom died. I moved along, pacing on the red, cottony carpet of the house.

"Pssst..." 

I was about to land my right foot for the last step when all of the sudden, I heard someone calling me. Not in my real name. I didn't know where that voice came from. I continued searching for that room when then again...

"Pssst..."

I followed it. The voice led the way for me to find the room. At last! Here it was all along. I tried to open it, but my hands wont work. I snatched an eye on the tiny hole of the door. I can't see a single thing. I was sneaking, still on that hole when I suddenly heard footsteps coming from the stairs. I didn't look back. Maybe, it's just a rat or something. My whole attention was on the hole. I've got to find a way to get inside quickly before pops sees me. Then, a minute later, a hand, so cold and rough, pet my left shoulder. I was shocked. I didn't even move. I was turning back. I dropped my necklace. Then, it was followed by a chill. My kness trembled in fear. Was this part of the greetings? Or someone is really here with me? No! I guess, not someone, but something, watching my every move.  Planning for a bad scheme. I don't know. I can't even turn in front, to see who really is that. The hand slowly grabs my shoulder tightly. My heart beats faster, and even louder that I thought was going to explode inside my chest. On that time, I was like in a still. Frozen! When I didn't take the pressure and fear, I fainted. I was like dead, but still, my heart's working. I was aslept for, maybe, a day. Dad rescued me, but he was too late. I opened my eyes. The first thing I saw was the brown ceiling. Dad smiled at me.

"Are you ready to meet your pops, sweetie?" he said.

I just nodded my head. I touched my left shoulder, asking myself in my mind, who could It be?