Chapter 6

Bucky sits in a chair staring at the wall in front of him the words that Steve said ringing in his ears

"She fell." Steve said as a tear slips down his face.

"It should've been me." He said.

"Nobody cares." Bucky said before looking over, seeing Zola walking by into the interrogation room making Bucky stand up, taking a step towards him, making Zola flinch away from him.

"Sergeant Barnes." Phillips said, stopping him, making Bucky look at him, seeing him holding food.

"Tell me that isn't for him." Bucky said, making Phillips sigh.

"He killed Faith and you're giving him food!?" Bucky yelled.

"Sergeant." Phillips said, making Bucky sigh and nod before sitting back down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phillips walks into the interrogation room holding the food.

"Sit down." He said putting the food down, Zola sits down and looks at the food.

"What is this?" Zola asked.

"Steak." Phillips said

"What's in it?" Zola asked.

"Cow." Phillips said, sitting down.

"Doctor, do you realize how difficult it is to get ahold of a prime cut like that out here?" Phillips asked.

"I don't eat meat." Zola said.

"Why not?" Phillips asked.

"It disagrees with me." Zola said.

"What about Cyanide? Does that give you a rumbly tummy, too?" Phillips asked before turning the tray around to face him.

"Every Hydra agent we've tried to take alive has crunched a little pill before we can stop him. But not you." Phillips said, cutting up the steak.

"So here's my brilliant theory." Phillips said, putting a piece of the steak in his mouth.

"You want to live." Phillips said, chewing his food.

"You're trying to intimidate me Colonel." Zola said.

"I bought you dinner." Phillips said and then there is a yell of anger from outside the door and something being thrown.

"That was Sergeant Barnes." Phillips said seeing Zola flinching at the name so Phillips slides a paper over to him.

"Given the valuable information he has provided and in exchange for his full cooperation, Dr. Zola is being remanded to Switzerland.?" Zola read out loud.

"I sent that message to Washington this morning, of course it was encoded. You guys haven't broken those codes, have you? That would be awkward." Phillips said, taking a bite of steak just as the door bursts open showing a scary, calm Bucky Barnes.

"Schmidt will know this is a lie." Zola said.

"The guys gonna kill you anyway Doc. You're a liability." Bucky said smoothly.

"You know more about Schmidt than anyone. And the last person you cost us was Captain Rogers and Sergeant Barnes' closest friend so I wouldn't count on the very best of protection." Phillips said and Zola starts to smile.

Bucky lunges forward grabbing Zola by the throat.

"It's either you or Schmidt." Phillips said as he walks up putting a hand on the sergeant's shoulder.

Bucky let's go walking back to his spot as Zola sits back down and Phillips does as well.

"Schmidt thinks he walks in the footsteps of the gods." Zola said deciding to tell the truth because Bucky is there

'Hmm." Phillips said.

"Only the world itself will satisfy him." Zola said.

"You do know that's crazy, right?" Bucky asked with his arms crossed

"What? The sanity of the plan is of no consequence." Zola said.

"And why is that?" Phillips asked.

"Because he can do it!" Zola shouted.

"What's his target?" Bucky asked.

"His target is everywhere." Zola said and Bucky walks out of the room as Phillips stares at Zola.

Steve is in his room staring at the picture of him that Faith had managed to get.

"It's not your fault." He said and Steve sighs shrugging.

A few hours later, everyone is sitting around the table talking.

"Johann Schmidt belongs in a bughouse. He thinks he's a god and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it starting with the USA." Phillips said as Howard walks up.

"Schmidt is working with powers beyond our capabilities. He gets across the Atlantic, he will wipe out the entire Eastern Seaboard in an hour." Howard said, sitting down.

Steve and Bucky toss the papers that they are holding onto the table.

"How much time we got?" Jones asked.

"According to my new best friend, under 24 hours." Phillips said.

"Where is he now?" Bucky asked.

"Hydra's last base is here. In the Alps, 500 feet below the surface." Phillips said, tossing the pictures on the table and Mortia grabs a picture looking at it.

"So what are we supposed to do? I mean it's not like we can just knock on the front door." He said putting the picture down.

"Why not?" Steve asked.

"That's exactly what we're gonna do." Bucky said