FAMILY

Prachi: You haven't searched properly

Prachi: You haven't searched properly. Maa can't leave me like this.

Prachi kept on screaming with tears continuously flowing from her eyes. She was unable to digest the news of the death of her mother.

Inspector: We understand that it's hard for you, but the sooner you accept the truth, the better. 

The inspector left. Ranbir pulled Prachi into a warm hug, rubbing her back continuously to calm her down. Sarita ji, Aryan and Shahana left the room to give them privacy.

Aryan noticed that the usually talkative Shahana had lapsed into an unusual silence. She did not shed even a drop of tear.

Aryan: Are you ok?

Shahana: Hmm. I need some time alone.

She walked into the room which was previously occupied by Pragya. Her things lay scattered as they were planning to shift to Mehra Mansion permanently. She picked up a framed picture lying nearby. A younger Pragya and Disha with the child version of Prachi and herself greeted her with smiling faces. She still remembered the day. It was the best day of her life. 

Little Shahana woke up due to the sound of the bell  echoing through the hall. She rubbed her eyes and joined the other children  in the queue to the washroom. The water was supplied for a limited time at the orphanage and so everyone wanted to get access to the washroom as early as possible. As Shahana was waiting for her turn, another girl pushed her and stood in front of her. She didn't complain as she knew that she was younger and tinier among the two and would loose if they fought. Almost everyone in the orphanage was accustomed to such things as the theory of survival of the fittest  seemed to hold there. 

Finally, she was able to get ready. She looked at herself in the broken and dirty mirror and decided that she looked pretty in her favorite pink dress. Though it was torn at many places, the older children had sewed it for her. She rushed to the dining hall as she didn't want to miss the breakfast. She sighed at the quantity of food in front of her. In spite of her tiny size, she had a huge appetite which never seemed to be satisfied with the food that they got. 

It was mandatory for everyone at the orphanage to do some work or the other. Shahana had chosen the task of watering the plants. She liked watering plants because of the beautiful flowers that would bloom and the additional benefit of watching the people on the other side of the huge gate. Her favorite thing was watching the people buy something from the trolley man and relish it with joy. Her sole aim in life was to grow up soon and buy herself that delicious thing.

 It was a surprise when the caretaker handed them new dresses. Though new didn't mean brought from the shops, it meant recently donated by the fortunate children who were now too big to wear those. The caretaker obstructed the children to dress neatly and be their best selves that afternoon as students from the nearby would come to visit them with their parents. The elder children were much excited by the news and chattered about the good luck if someone's took an interest in them and adopted them. The poor children desired so much for a family.