Chapter 7 | Decisions, decisions

Everyone was standing on one side of the room, where stood the players who haven't voted. The first one to vote was a familiar man. He was also a target of 67's pickpocketing. Player 456.

He slowly went in front of a big screen and two buttons. A red X and a green O.

"If you wish to continue the games, press button O. If you wish to stop the games, press button X."

The rules seem clear, now it's all up to us.

After some time of hesitation and thinking, 456 pressed the X button, deciding on the second choice. Some players cheered him on and some groaned in disappointment.

Next was player 455, an older lady. She walked up to the two buttons and hesitated. Slowly she turned around and longingly gazed at the piggy bank, which was still in full sight, tempting all of us.

After peeking at it, she got that one push of motivation to keep going and pressed the O button.

Soon many players like this started voting and nothing was really going out of this. Some chose O, some chose X.

Judging whispers of others surround us, quietly insulting the ones who based on their opinion picked a wrong choice.

It took about an hour but it seemed like a decade. My feet wanted to relax and go find my bunk bed, but I didn't allow myself to. My intense gaze was only focused on the voting screen, even when Thomas was talking to me.

"What are you choosing?"

"There's no way I'm ending this now. You can choose whatever you want. For being my accomplice in this, I'll share some money when I win."

"Woah, well that's some confidence. How do you even know if there will be more than one winner? Most games only have one."

I became quiet for some seconds, finally lowering my head, but not completely bringing my spirit down.

"Well there's always hope." I bluntly answered.

400, 300, 200...

Players kept passing me, solving their life or death questions. Soon it was Thomas's turn and he made his way to the center. He was about to hit the X button, but stopped at the last second. His hand stayed still, before moving over to O and harshly pressing on it.

My expanded a bit in surprise. I really thought he'll pick X.

Players, players, players...

Everyone had a turn, including lovely 67. She confidently stepped in front and with no hesitation hit the green O button. As much as I hate her, I would be lying if I said I didn't notice her toughness. In some ways it inspired me. Half of the people are dead, this is a messed up game and we've basically been kidnapped, but she kept her head high and did not once look at the ground.

I'll would give her some respect points, but they're on the negative scale.

For the first time, number 007 is an unlucky number for me. The players who already voted were chilling, talking and sitting. Some were still tense and didn't keep their eyes off the screen. Meanwhile I had to be in the back, on my feet and stressing out.

The stress and sweat may lead me to an acne breakout. I didn't do 7 months of perfect skincare just for this crap.

Finally the moment came. I went over with a great posture and gazed at the buttons, seeing them up close.

I pressed the O button and made my way to my bunk bed, finally being able to stretch out my body and lay down. Of course the heavenly feeling didn't take long as the last player to vote made his way in front.

The old man, player 001, sure did take his time, making everything more intense. The votes were equal and now it was on him to stop or continue the games. If I wasn't overflowed with emotions, I would've understood him: there's a lot of stress, faith and weight on his shoulders, but now everything was boiling inside of me so it took me a lot to not scream at him to hurry up.

He slowly raised his hand, making all of us panic. It went over to green, then red, then green, then red again and...

*BEEP*

I sighed in sorrow. Fuck. My. Life.