Chapter Four

Sydney rounded the corner and passed by the basketball court yet again. She half expected Louis to still be there, sitting on the bleachers, and she ended up being partially right. He was there, but instead of sitting on one of the benches, hunched over in his little corner, he was dribbling a football he found with his knees. Sydney sat down and watched him for a minute or two. Until she repositioned herself to get more comfortable, Louis didn't even notice she was there.

"Oh my apologies," He said, bowing his head. Sydney could tell that his cheeks were red. "I didn't know you were watching."

"Only for the last minute or two. But you're really good," She insisted. 

Louis didn't say anything, but based on the tiny smile that was sitting on his face, Sydney could tell that he liked her compliment.

"Anyhow… I spoke to my younger self." The twenty year old female explained, an eager look on her face. "And she said we could speak to her at lunch, with you know… our past selves, Harry, Niall, Zayn, Liam--"

"I'm not really sure," Louis said, cutting her off. "It doesn't seem like the brightest idea."

Sydney huffed in frustration, figuring that she was never going to get through to this guy. "Why not? Maybe talking to them can help… with our present. Don't you want to change anything?"

"Not really. My life is okay," He insisted. Then, he was about to decline the invitation until he noticed the disappointed look on her face. Louis sighed in defeat, and then spoke again. "Alright, maybe I could come for a few minutes. But just a few." 

Sydney's eyes brightened like a happy little kid's, and she stood up. "Thank you. They don't really know it's future us or anything. I mean, they don't believe us."

Louis snorted. "Of course they don't."

The twenty year old's normally passionate blue eyes turned into a cold icy glare, but she ignored the comment. Along with Louis, the two of them began to walk towards their old cabins. "I think we should just talk. Find out what they're up to. I mean, we already know, but don't you think we could change something?"

The twenty year old male rolled his eyes, not really caring about what she had to say. "Not really. What's done is done, there's nothing you can go back and change."

After that, the two remained in silence. Louis was wishing he could just return to the present, if he could just find a way how. On the other hand, Sydney was thinking of ways to break through his shell. She could tell based on his almost always unreadable face, his short and snappy answers and his quietness, especially because he's apparently supposed to be loud and boisterous. That was him ten years ago, Sydney corrected herself. He can be a completely different person now.

The two of them rounded the corner on the dirt path and at the exact same time, they each saw their bunks sitting around in separate circles, chatting mindlessly while eating lunch. Obviously, within the circles there were many different clusters. One of them happened to be filled with Niall, Zayn, Demi, Liam and the younger version of Sydney. The younger version of Louis and Harry was eating with a couple of other friends, away from the group.

"So how are we going to do this?" Present Sydney asked, turning to the present version of Louis.

He simply shrugged. "Frankly, I really don't give a damn. We can tackle this in any way you want."

Not wanting to argue, Sydney took the lead and walked towards her old group of friends, from day camp. She felt a pang of sadness in her chest, wishing that things could always be as innocent and fun as used to be back in the day. But just because time travel is possible, it doesn't mean that she could magically make it all go away, which made Sydney want to try even harder to fix what was already broken in her life.