Chapter 2

Present day

She crouched low studying the deer from afar, a soft growl leaving her throat as she silently observed it. The cold winter winds prickled the back of her neck sending a small shiver through her. Tristan was crouched behind her waiting for the right moment to charge, Velora was 13 years old now old enough to at least observe a hunting but she insisted on participating. Tristan in his wolf form nudged her arm lightly now remember I'll lead the deer in a circle back for you alright? She looked at him holding her bone knife tightly and nodded "yes papa"

A twig snapped nearby as a mountain lion approached the deer from across the way alerting the deer to sprint off. Tristan cursed and growled Dammit there goes that one turning to Velora he saw she had taken off sprinting towards the mountain lion letting out a howl before facing off with it. Velora! No! He quickly sprinted over to them just as she sliced its throat with her knife "I got it papa!" She jumped up and down excitedly smiling her hands covered in blood. Tristan blinked several times still processing what he watched that you did my dear well done let's bring it back to the den he chuckled nudging her with his nose. He was surprised at her growth over the past few years, he laid down to let her put the lion on his back.

She grunted and pushed it up onto him "papa when do I get to shift?" His ears perked up at the question he wasn't ready to deal with yet well Lora most wolves shift when they turn 14 sweetie he wasn't lying it was true but she did not have a wolf spirit within her to shift into when the time came. She nodded and petted his head "I'm so excited to meet mine" a loud rumble gurgled from her stomach and he snickered how about lunch first? They headed off back to the den as the weather rolled in around them, a dense fog.

The pack greeted them both as they entered Griffin clapping and smiling "so how did she do on her first hunt?" Tristan shook the mountain lion off his back well we were hunting a deer but this lion chased it off so Velora caught it instead he shifted back pulling on shorts quickly before grabbing the lion "I wanna help skin papa please" Tristan chuckled at her ambition "alright little one come on" he gestured her to follow and she squealed happily skipping alongside him. Her hair had grown to her butt which she kept in a braid pushed to the side of her neck bouncing as she went and helped him skin the lion.

He found himself staring at her she had lived among the pack for 10 years and had grown exponentially but her full white hair still boggled him. Most wolf shifters had a bit of white to signify their connection to the moon, so why did she have a whole head of white. Looking up Velora smiled at him "hi papa I do good?" He looked at her work and she managed to peel back a good amount of the skin from the carcass "yes well done sweetie" she smiled at him and continued to work hard to get the rest of the fur off in one piece. she hummed while she worked and he stood to grab lunch "i think stew is ready little one keep going ill grab a bowl for you" she looked up "ok papa!" He headed for the kitchen and grabbed a couple bowls from the cook a she wolf named Greta he had known for years she was friends with his mother "good afternoon Tristan, how is she doing?" taking a couple spoons he responded "she is living well among the pack though she has asked about her wolf...its difficult to talk about since i know she will never shift. I just cant bring myself to tell her that, the wolves here are family to her and she wants to be apart of it so much"

Greta smiled softly at him "Being a part of a pack means a lot to her that much is true but eventually you will have to tell her she has no wolf, she is more or less human among wolves." He sliced a few pieces of bread to put on the side "what should I do Greta, she's already 13 years old but her mind is developing faster than I imagined. You've been around her she has no fear of wolf shifters at all as if she's been around them before. She had to have come from somewhere that has them..right?" Greta nodded and went back to cooking.