The Meeting Spot

14 years of anticipation was finally coming to an end. Today marks the day that Ryder is no longer a prisoner. She is being released from prison and placed on parole to finish her minimum sentence. Dirty hands scrambled to pack up the little materials they owned. A worn green duffle bag packed to the brim. The contents were a torn blanket, a book that was read a million times with an old picture marking the page, a single change of clothes and a small coin purse with only spare change picked up from the ground.

The now young preteen threw the bag over her shoulder and looked back in the dark and dusty room she hid in for the last 412 days. She built it in the side of a cliff, hidden from hiking trails and wandering eyes. She took a step outside and saw the training ground she spent days and nights taking out her anger. Smashed boulders laid on the ground like corpses to a battlefield. Being confident that she would never have to return she decided it would be best if she left no trace behind. She reached out with both hands and quickly made open palms into fists. The rocked that sloped into the cramped room went back into the cliff side, debris that laid on the roof now fell down the side of the cliff. She turned towards the boulders and pebbles.

"Day 412," She mumbled to herself as she planted her feet in a low squat. As she breathed in, her hands came to her chest almost like yoga, her eyes closed as she focused on her attack. She opened her eyes; a quick exhale came from her lips. Her feet and hands moved in unison as the large boulders were thrown from the cliff and the pebbles rumbled at her feet. She felt proud of herself. When she first came here, she barely could control the stone at her feet, allowing her to walk almost vertically. She had to crawl, using her hands and her feet to just manipulate the cliff to allow her to climb. But now, it's almost like second nature. She can run, jump, walk, dance just as she pleases.

When she was satisfied that the boulders were scattered, and the cliff looked a little more natural she turned towards the rising sun. East. To Fukuoka, the meeting spot.

Bare feet touched the concrete ground that seemed to liquify into almost a wave. She learned how to mimic her mother's ability, but she wasn't as fast. This ability is still new to her and requires more concentration. As she approached the town, the ground seemed busier. More pipes, water, electricity. It was a little overwhelming. She tried to shake off the feeling, and to stay concentrated, but the ground ended up throwing her off of her own current. The concrete returned to its solid, flat form, no sign of cracks or ware. The girl on the other hand, pushed herself up. Scraped covering her arms and legs.

She sighs to herself, "still not good enough."

As she put her feet back under herself, she looked around trying to figure out where to go. There was a gas station across the street. She checked for any cops or potential heroes that could possibly take her back to the orphanage.

She scowled at the thought of going back to that place. The women that ran the orphanage were nice enough, but over worked. They used the older children to look and care for the younger children. Memories of when she was a young girl came back to her, a bad taste rotted in her mouth.

The young girl went inside the gas station and looked at the clerk behind the counter.

"Um, excuse me," she walked up to the man, "I'm a little lost. Do you have a map?"

"Did you just climb out of the dumpster," the man scowled at the dirty girl, "You smell awful."

She looked down at her dirt dusted clothes and bare feet. She looked back up and met the man's glare.

"I'm sorry," she turned towards the door, "Forget about it."

"Here," he tossed a folded map on the ground, "get home, kid."

She picked up the map and waved at him, "thank you."

She sat on the curb and looked at the street signs. Using the map, she was trying to figure out where she was, but she barely could make heads or tails of the map. There were so many lines, red, blue and green. The street names were almost impossible to read. The feeling of helplessness sank in, and a pit formed in her stomach. I really am lost.

Becoming reckless she stood up on sore, aching feet and proceeded to walk down the street. When she turned the corner, she saw the sea of buildings known as Fukuoka. It was overwhelming for her, and she felt a lump form in her throat. It looked like the city stretched to the horizon and never ended. She wished she kept the letters that described the city, maybe they would have helped her find the spot. She franticly threw her duffle bag down and pulled the book out. The worn black cover and gold lettering Fates Be Crossed, and stained pages protected one of her most valued possessions. The photo.

She pulled out an old polaroid of her mother and a young boy with brilliant wings with ice popsicles in their hand sitting in front of a shining sign of an auto shop my mother used to live by. The young girl turned it over, and there was an address. 106-0041 Mount Drive, Fukuoka.

She pulled the map out, hoping it would just take a second chance for her to grasp some type of understanding of where she is or where she is going. It looked like scribbles to her. Out of frustrations she threw her fists down, sending a small rumble through the ground. Tears start forming in her eyes from frustration and anxiety. She's waited so long to finally be with her mother, but she can't even find her. The sun was starting the set for the day, and the dim light of dusk painted the skyline. She cuddled her knees to her chest and stared helplessly at the enormous jungle of buildings in front of her.

"Hey, are you lost?" A voice called out from behind her.

She quickly turned around to see a young man with his hands in his pockets. She was startled but quickly turned amazed. She held up the photo and compared the two. Her mouth opened like she wanted to say something, but her lips sealed shut.

The brilliant crimson wings stretched to either side as feathers came flooding back to him, he took his hands out of his pocket and showed his palms. "I'm not here to hurt you," he started, "you haven't exactly been easy to find."

She doesn't respond, but stares at him in disbelief.

"Your mom has been worried sick about you," he took a step closer, "I just want to get you home. Safely to your mom."

She stared at the photo in her hand, "Where is she?"

He nods his head, thinking of his next words wisely.

"She got sick over a year ago. She was released to a hospital in the city. We can visit her tomorrow and you can see her. But right now, let's just get you somewhere warm. Wash you right up and get some new clothes."

The girl stood up, "How sick?"

He let out a sorrowful sigh, "pretty sick, princess."

She stared blankly at him. Thoughts filled her mind. Why wasn't I there for her? If I stayed at the orphanage, I would have known. I could have been there for her. How sick is she? Is she going to die? What if she does die before I get to see her? She's not going to see me grow up. Will I get the chance to make her proud?

Tears started to flow down the poor girl's face, washing away the dirt and brine that caked her skin. Hawks walked slowly to her, closing the distance. All of her hopes and dreams of finally living with her mom were falling apart in front of her. It felt like a hole was sinking in her heart, it physically hurt her like nothing has before. Her hands shakily covered her mouth, it became hard for her to breath as she started to fall apart. Questions circled her conscience like hungry wolves. Where will I live now? Will I have to go back to the orphanage? Will mom die soon? How soon? How long do I have with her? How long? How long?

She started to crumble to pieces, but Hawks caught her before she hit the ground.