A Guardian

It's been a couple of days since Akari came to the hospital. They asked that she stayed for more blood tests, to catch up on vaccinations, and overall for her to heal and relax.

Ryder asked Hawks to bring Akari up to her room. When Akari entered, she saw a line of flowers in the window, with "get well soon" cards. On her board there were pinned photos of Akari that the orphanage would send her mom. Akari never really noticed that she stopped smiling in photos after the incident. She would just stare at the camera. She stopped posing like little girls do. It kind of made Akari sad for herself, but even more sad for her mom. She wondered if her mom ever knew.

A lady in a dark grey pantsuit walked in with a bag, "Hi, everyone. My name is Zuzu." She closed the door behind her, "I'll be working with you guys through this case and overall adoption process."

Akari's eyebrows furrowed as the word adoption rang in her ears. Adoption.

Zuzu looked at Hawks and Ryder, "I'm so sorry, did she not know?"

They both shook their head simultaneously. Ryder just put her hand up, "It'll be alright. We can explain."

Akari looked at her mother, "Why would I get adopted though? I'm not an orphan."

Ryder spoke delicately, noticing how Akari seemed to be upset "We all know that. But with me in the hospital and how my health is going, this is an option for you to live outside of the hospital and attend school and it really is just a precaution. You would still be my daughter. You will always be my daughter." Ryder opened her arms to offer a hug, "but this way Hawks can be your guardian while I am unable to."

Akari nodded her head understanding. She hugged her mom and joined her on the bed. Zuzu pulled up a table and a chair, "well then, shall we begin?"

Hawks and Ryder have been planning this from the get-go. Ryder didn't even think she would live to this point, to even meet her daughter. She knows she's only hanging by a thread, her heartbeat is getting weaker and weaker every day, she hasn't been able to walk for months and she's lost feeling in her hands. She can barely write her own signature.

Zuzu walked through the paperwork. The background check, home inspection, and interview with Hawks were all done prior. Zuzu asked for Hawks signature, initials, date, signature, initial, date, signature. So much paperwork. Akari chewed on her nails, maybe in boredom but probably in the anxious moment.

Zuzu handed Ryder a pen, "Now, I know it's been hard for you. This whole situation is something a mother and daughter should never have to go through. Please, if there is any second guesses or you change your mind right now is the time."

Ryder looked at Hawks. There were tears brimming her eyes, "Take good care of my, baby girl. I expect phone calls, letters and photos."

"Don't worry," Hawks reassured her as he put his hands in his pockets and leaned against the wall, "We'll be around to see you often."

Ryder gripped the pen like it was a weapon and not a writing utensil. She forcibly scribbled her signature and threw the pen to the side. It seemed hard for her. Not just emotionally but physically, too.

Zuzu clapped her hands, "congratulations," she shook everyone's hands, "I hereby enforce and entrust the health, safety, and learning of Akari Hajiken is to be handled by her new legal guardian Keigo Takami."

<><><><><><><>

When Akari was released from the hospital they gave her the green duffle bag she came in with. They washed the bag, blanket and the changes of clothes inside for her. She gripped it closely as she entered the car with Hawks.

"You seem upset," Hawks pointed it, "you haven't really said anything since we saw your mom."

Akari looked out the window, "I don't know."

"You don't know what?"

"How to feel," Akari didn't want to look at Hawks.

Hawks wanted them to not only get along, but to have trust and respect. He didn't want to force anything but asked anyway, "It's difficult to see someone you care about like that. There's a lot of heavy emotions. I just want to know what you are feeling? Or how you're feeling?"

Akari sighed as she pressed her forehead on the window, "I don't know." Her voice started to crack a little, making her mad.

"I'm just mad that no one said anything to me," she shook her head, "a-and I feel like I was just left in the dark. But I'm mad that moms' plans, and my plans just didn't work out. This-" she pulled her face off the window and turned towards Hawks, "this just isn't what I expected."

Hawks could see the anger and sadness battling on her face. Her red cheeks, watery eyes and pursed lips said it all.

"It really isn't fair," Hawks agreed, "I'm sorry we didn't say anything to you. We were not trying to hide anything from you."

"Next time," Akari crossed her arms still upset, "just talk to me please."

Hawks chuckled to relieve some tension, "I will. And speaking of communication, let's talk about our living status. I have a flat that's a 10-minute walking distance from the hospital. But we need to get your room and living quarters set up. How about we get some new clothes for you tonight and go for dinner afterwards?"

Akari nodded, "that's okay. But can we stop at the orphanage? I left some things behind."

Hawks nodded, "are you sure? I heard you didn't really like it there."

"I don't think anyone really would like it there," Akari stated blankly, "but what I left is kind of important."